Group results by group name, not build number in parent_group_overview
|Status:||In Progress||Start date:||22/03/2018|
|Target version:||Current Sprint|
What we have¶
On home page (https://openqa.suse.de/) we display:
- parent group name
- show last 3 builds in parent group
- each build can be expanded to display sub-groups
On parent group overview page (https://openqa.suse.de/parent_group_overview/15) we display the same information:
- list of sub-groups
- show last 10 builds in parent group
- each build is expanded to display sub-groups
This seems redundant and loading time of parent group overview is quite slow.
That's why I think parent group overview is not used much, but I might be wrong here.
Why change it¶
- display mechanism works fine only if every medium in sub-group has identical build number (works in SLE - https://openqa.suse.de/parent_group_overview/15)
- display mechanism is useless for every parent group that groups different build numbers (broken in CaaSP - https://openqa.suse.de/parent_group_overview/18)
- managers & reviewers might appreciate it - I have to open 6+ pages to find results of last CaaSP build
- page loading time might improve
- AC1: The parent job group overview page can be configured to group builds by job group (instead of grouping job groups by builds)
- AC2: The current parent job group overview grouping is still available
Based on a parameter change parent group overview page to group results by sub-groups, not build numbers and show:
- list of sub-groups
- each sub-group will display results for last build
- each sub-group can be expanded to display multiple builds (maybe not needed since it's visible on group overview page - https://openqa.suse.de/group_overview/110)
The switch can be included on the template page to reload the page with changed settings or an attribute of the parent job group, similar as for job group where we configure the order "by value" or "by date"
#3 Updated by coolo almost 2 years ago
- Subject changed from [tools] Group results by group name, not build number in parent_group_overview to Group results by group name, not build number in parent_group_overview
- Category set to 124
- Status changed from Rejected to New
- Target version set to Ready
I should be specific: SLE release managers. So thinking about, we might offer a parameter or group setting
#4 Updated by mkravec almost 2 years ago
I attached few images to explain it better.
I think this would not hurt SLE also (because main page is almost the same as parent group page now) - but as you say that's up to release managers :)
Maybe we can reuse "Sort by build value / Sort by time job most recently created" option, I think we won't need "by time job most recently created" anymore.
#6 Updated by mkittler over 1 year ago
So this is basically grouping the builds by job groups (instead of grouping the job groups by builds).
It is true that the current parent group overview is redundant. So I suppose it is used as "filter" by those managers and we shouldn't remove that possibility. Making the new view optional would be possible of course. However, it raises the question where to place the switch. Also it would be a bit weird/confusing to have two actually different pages combined under the name "parent group overview".
#10 Updated by Xiaojing_liu 6 months ago
- Assignee deleted (
- Priority changed from Normal to Low
- Target version changed from Current Sprint to Ready
in my humble opinion, the priority is low, and need to pay much effort on it. So I cancel assigning it to me. I would like to not do it until there is a strong requirement.