[sle][functional][yast][y][mandatory][medium][epic] LVM Thin Provisioning
Thin Provisioning is an imporant feature and
as such it makes sense to have at least a basic test - meaning
deployment of the system, which will implicitly test the subsystem itself.
Yast team has fixed a bug in Yast in February about Thin Provisioned LVM
installation. It showed up that there is no test coverage for this in
- AC1: An openQA test scenario conducting installation on thin-LVM exists and is scheduled on SLE15, openSUSE Tumbleweed and openSUSE Leap 15.0
- AC2: Also on SLE12SP4 unless there is a clear message that thin-LVM is not supported on SLE12, see bsc#1027586
- Understand thin provisioning, e.g. watch https://youtu.be/E4H6Ar7XIjU or read https://www.theurbanpenguin.com/thin-provisioning-lvm2/
- Test thin-LVM installation manually on TW or SLE15
- Resurrect https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/pull/2489 and adapt for storage-ng
- Get involved in https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027586 to find out how tho handle the pre-storage-ng situation
- optionally keep it working for pre-storage-ng as necessary for SLE12SP4
- Add corresponding tests for all AC1 mentioned versions, distris
#7 Updated by michalnowak over 5 years ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Feedback
It is said it need planning: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027586#c16.
#9 Updated by okurz over 5 years ago
- Target version changed from Milestone 8 to Milestone 9
bug references trello https://trello.com/c/XghjsYUv/1344-sle12-sp2-p2-1027586-cant-create-thinpool-lvmlvcreatefailed-system-error-code-was-4014 , waiting there
#12 Updated by sebchlad about 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from michalnowak to maritawerner
- Target version deleted (
@Michal: thanks for good and clear status.
As I take the role of the Product Owner for the SLE functional, I prefer we clarify if this is a workable item or not. I do not want to have items which are about something what might be done or might not be done and if is done it will be in Sep. 2023 :)
maritawerner: could you kindly verify if there is anything what SLE functional team should we working on here?
If not I would prefer we do not have this in our product backlog.
an idea: still it might be useful for you to have such items in the progress. Perhaps you could then have your own tag for keeping track of such future issues? I would suggest we talk about it f2f
#13 Updated by michalnowak about 5 years ago
There's a slight chance it will be fixed in SLE15: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027586#c20 but otherwise no, there's no general fix and it hasn't been anyone's priority at all. I suggest we close this and re-open if/when we have an actual fix around.
#14 Updated by okurz about 5 years ago
I am ok with this assuming it is represented accordingly on FATE for the recently released products and the one currently in development. I want to avoid that it is assumed "everything is working fine". A quick search on fate.suse.com did not reveal anything for me.
#15 Updated by okurz about 5 years ago
also the recent yast team highlights mention the feature: https://lizards.opensuse.org/2017/10/11/yast-sprint-44/
so it looks like there is something going on and we should not close the ticket but rather revisit it in some time.
#18 Updated by maritawerner almost 5 years ago
- Subject changed from [sles][functional] LVM Thin Provisioning to [sles][functional][mandatory] LVM Thin Provisioning
- Status changed from Feedback to New
- Assignee changed from maritawerner to okurz
After a discussion with Stefan Behlert and Daniel Rahn we decided that that feature is important for our customers and I would like to add it to the regular feature test matrix for SLE 15. Please let me know if that is feasible. The bug mentioned above seems to be fixed for SLE 15.
#19 Updated by okurz almost 5 years ago
- Subject changed from [sles][functional][mandatory] LVM Thin Provisioning to [sle][functional][mandatory] LVM Thin Provisioning
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Assignee deleted (
- Target version changed from future to Milestone 14
the bug mentions that only the underlying storage-ng lib properly supports thin provisioning. We can track it and potentially cover it in a short manual test but we should not invest much effort until the bug is at least RESOLVED FIXED.
#20 Updated by michalnowak almost 5 years ago
You might want to resurrect https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/pull/2489 at some point.
#23 Updated by okurz almost 5 years ago
- Subject changed from [sle][functional][yast][mandatory] LVM Thin Provisioning to [sle][functional][yast][mandatory][medium] LVM Thin Provisioning
- Description updated (diff)
- Due date changed from 2018-03-13 to 2018-04-24
- Target version changed from Milestone 14 to Milestone 15
M14 is a bit full so let's shift new tests later.
Made ticket workable with much more information.
#24 Updated by okurz over 4 years ago
- Subject changed from [sle][functional][yast][mandatory][medium] LVM Thin Provisioning to [sle][functional][yast][y][mandatory][medium] LVM Thin Provisioning
- Due date deleted (
- Target version changed from Milestone 15 to Milestone 17
too many new tests in sprint 15, better look for a later one, after SLE15 GMC. https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027586 is still open but I would not consider ourselves blocked by it.
#25 Updated by michalnowak over 4 years ago
Per https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1027586#c22 this ticket may be workable on SLES15.
#39 Updated by szarate about 2 years ago
See for the reason of tracker change: http://mailman.suse.de/mailman/private/qa-sle/2020-October/002722.html