[functional][x11][y][medium] Tests without autologin
So far, all test runs (except minimalx using xdm) are done with autologin.
There is no test verifying functionality of gdm and SDDM, which should be bare minimum tested
(minimal login tests happen in some otherDE tests, where lightdm is being installed)
- Test with autologin disable runs for openSUSE, SLE 15, SLE 12 SP4
NOTE: INSTALL_ONLY should be enough.
SLE now covered in #44069
#1 Updated by okurz over 6 years ago
- Assignee set to dimstar
SLE by default always tests with NOAUTOLOGIN=1 so there should be no necessity to change anything in test modules. Maybe some needles are missing for openSUSE but as minimalx is already covered it is maybe one or two needles for GDM and SDDM each.
I recommend you just add test_suites and enable them for Tumbleweed and see what's happening. If BTW you don't want to break TW release process with "experimental test_suites", create a new job group and just enable the test_suite there for testing.
#2 Updated by dimstar over 6 years ago
- Status changed from New to In Progress
A new test has been configured for Tumbleweed (gnome-gdm)
It passes the login, but currently fails on 'consoletest_setup' - it somehow jumps back to GUI - that could well be a product bug / timing issue.
But not having seen it run ever correct makes it difficult to assess
#3 Updated by dimstar over 6 years ago
for GNOME the 'problem' is a bit more complex:
- with GDM 3.16+, once the user logs in, gdm remains as a session on VT7 and the user is assigned 'the first free VT' (usually VT2).
- This breaks many of the assumptions we have in some code, like the selection of the various root/user/log consoles and the expectation to find X on VT7
#6 Updated by dimstar over 5 years ago
We have basic tests in place so far doing a login (e.g. gnome-gdm, kde-sddm) - but as noted in an earlier comment: for GNOME we break a lot of assumption, meaning we can only to INSTALLONLY=1 tests at the moment
Last test runs we have:
#21 Updated by oorlov about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Workable to In Progress
- Assignee changed from oorlov to okurz
I've checked both Sle and Opensuse distris and here is the current state:
- Tumbleweed: 4 test suites without autologin:
- Leap 15.1: 3 test suites without autologin:
- Sle12-SP4 and Sle15-SP1 has autologin disabled in all the tests by default.
okurz, how do you think, do we need to increase the amount of the tests with no autologin on opensuse? Or current amount is enough?
#24 Updated by okurz about 4 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
- Assignee changed from okurz to dimstar
- Target version changed from Milestone 20 to Milestone 21
#25 Updated by dimstar about 4 years ago
good points. SLE is now covered in #44069, let's focus on openSUSE.
So it seems we have the AC fulfilled but I think dimstar had open points as mentioned in #12898#note-3 .
dimstar could you help to clarify what you would see useful to test on top of just "log into a session and end the test"?
I think the issues around gdm staying around have been solved in the last two years, from when comment #3 was. SLE15 introduced a newer GDM and made this already necessary
From my PoV, the requested points are satisfied