[qe-core] make zypper_call use serial terminal regardless of the architecture
Anything that has to do with aarch64, or any architecture for that matter in terms of calling things like zypper_call, can be shifted to serial terminal.
- Modify zypper_call to always use serial terminal, then switch back to what it was using originally (testapi has
current_consoleto get, the current console :))
- Add a parameter to support backwards compatibility, to disable such feature in case of need (such as no_console_switch=1), assume that if the parameter is not set and VIRTO_CONSOLE=1 is set, the switch is enabled by default)
- Advertise change in proper channels via RFC in os-autoinst-distri-opensuse (openqa, qa-sle ML, link in #testing in RC/Slack)
#1 Updated by mgrifalconi almost 2 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
#2 Updated by szarate almost 2 years ago
- Related to action #95365: [qe-core] move ncurses out of installation tests added
#3 Updated by szarate almost 2 years ago
- Related to action #90008: [qe-core][typing] test fails in ncurses with typing issues - Improve by using serial_terminal and executing tests via bash added
#4 Updated by szarate almost 2 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
- Status changed from New to Workable
- Target version set to QE-Core: Ready
#5 Updated by mgrifalconi almost 2 years ago
- Assignee set to mgrifalconi
#6 Updated by favogt almost 2 years ago
What's the benefit of this? If it's performance, are there measurements?
What could be useful is that the entire zypper output is visible in the logs that way.
#7 Updated by mgrifalconi over 1 year ago
Hello favogt and sorry for the long delay, some vacations and other tasks got in the way.
I ran the following test.
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059824 10m 59s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059825 12m 27s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059826 10m 32s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059827 10m 33s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059828 12m 53s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059592 16m 27s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059593 17m 26s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059594 16m 25s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059595 20m 23s
https://openqa.suse.de/tests/7059596 17m 49s
I am open to re-run these tests on a fixed openqa vm but I think the results are already useful.
On top of that, the visibility of the output in the logs is another benefit as you mentioned.
#8 Updated by favogt over 1 year ago
#9 Updated by apappas over 1 year ago
- Related to action #75319: [qe-core][functional] test fails in apache_ssl - Where possible, switch to serial_console added
#10 Updated by mgrifalconi about 1 year ago
- Assignee changed from mgrifalconi to szarate
#11 Updated by szarate about 1 year ago
I'd rather go the other way... and push for the change to be implemented in a transparent way (so that it works for everybody)... but we can take an RFC approach before changing that problem with shared libraries, is that if nobody messes up with them, then nobody will also care for their development/improvement Agree on the "someone should care about libraries" but, wouldn't make sense to have the lib only do its thing, without changing the terminal while doing it? And than start enforcing everywhere the usage of serial, not just for zypper calls? Problem we have seen with many library changes so far, that many thing break on day1 and need fix, because we have no real staging setup (needles more sensitive, script_run timeout behavior etc.) and even if you announce it, nobody will be able to test it everywhere I fear. star-struck +1::skin-tone-5 thisisfine-flames as it is mainly a peformance change than a fix or an improvvement we can take our time finding a common ground
#12 Updated by szarate about 1 year ago
- Category changed from Refactor/Code Improvements to Spike/Research
- Target version deleted (