Project

General

Profile

action #71176

Fail to show job details on OSD when using Firefox

Added by Xiaojing_liu 11 months ago. Updated 11 months ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
High
Assignee:
Category:
Support
Target version:
Start date:
2020-09-10
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Difficulty:

Description

Observation

Using Firefox browser to see a job's details on OSD, the page is not correct.
There is javascript error: 'ReferenceError: setupResult is not defined'

There is no problem in Chrome.

Suggestion

The job details should show correct in Firefox

Workaround

As the problem seems to be related to firefox version

Screenshot_20200910_124500.png (152 KB) Screenshot_20200910_124500.png Xiaojing_liu, 2020-09-10 04:50
10468

History

#1 Updated by okurz 11 months ago

  • Assignee set to okurz
  • Priority changed from Normal to High
  • Target version set to Ready

could this potentially be fixed by https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/pull/3376 ?

I read out the test URL from the screenshot, it is https://openqa.suse.de/tests/4668581
For me the page renders just fine in Firefox 78.0.2esr on openSUSE Leap 15.2 . Does the problem reproduce when checking multiple times? On other computers? What's the version of Firefox on your setup? Does the problem reproduce with other jobs or just this single one? Can you crosscheck against other openQA instances, e.g. o3 and personal instances?

#2 Updated by Xiaojing_liu 11 months ago

  • Assignee deleted (okurz)
  • Priority changed from High to Normal
  • Target version deleted (Ready)

okurz wrote:

could this potentially be fixed by https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/pull/3376 ?

I checked with this pr, it is not fixed by it.

I read out the test URL from the screenshot, it is https://openqa.suse.de/tests/4668581
For me the page renders just fine in Firefox 78.0.2esr on openSUSE Leap 15.2 . Does the problem reproduce when checking multiple times? On other computers? What's the version of Firefox on your setup? Does the problem reproduce with other jobs or just this single one? Can you crosscheck against other openQA instances, e.g. o3 and personal instances?

The problem could be reproduced every time when showing the job details. Mine and one colleague's firefox version are both '68.2.0'. The problem will happen when showing any jobs, so it does not matter the jobs. I also checked my environment, the issue also happens. I haven't checked o3, I cannot access to it right now (Because of the network in my home). But one colleague told me, o3 has the same problem with OSD.

One colleague's firefox is 78.1.0esr (64-bit), there is no problem in his test. So it's related to firefox version? do we need to support the older version?

#3 Updated by Xiaojing_liu 11 months ago

  • Assignee set to okurz
  • Priority changed from Normal to High
  • Target version set to Ready

Sorry to overwrite those settings.

#4 Updated by okurz 11 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
  • Status changed from New to Feedback

Xiaojing_liu wrote:

One colleague's firefox is 78.1.0esr (64-bit), there is no problem in his test. So it's related to firefox version? do we need to support the older version?

We should support older versions but do not need to support "completely outdated versions". In this case though I would like to understand what specific change introduced the problem so that at least in the future we can avoid trying to be too innovative.

mkittler cdywan do you recall what JavaScript changes you might have introduced that went into OSD yesterday that could explain this problem?

#5 Updated by cdywan 11 months ago

#3352 was the last change to that function, although it wouldn't explain a not defined error - the signature changed, not the name of it, and this is not C++

#6 Updated by nicksinger 11 months ago

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1361856

This is fixed in all supported versions of Firefox. I heavily object supporting even older versions since it:

  1. Eases the pressure on users who use outdated browsers to upgrade
  2. It can cause a lot of overhead to even support other versions

In this case though I would like to understand what specific change introduced the problem so that at least in the future we can avoid trying to be too innovative.
I think this can easily be solved by testing with ESR which (afaik) was done.

#7 Updated by okurz 11 months ago

  • Category changed from Concrete Bugs to Support
  • Status changed from Feedback to Resolved

Yes, ESR was tested. I agree that in this case we do not need to change anything in our current code as all properly supported and maintained browser versions seem to be ok.

So I will close this as a Support ticket with my strong suggestion to users: Please make sure to run up-to-date secure systems

Also available in: Atom PDF