[functional][y][timebox:8h] Evaluate how to switch between TTYs in specific scenarios (hyperv, ssh,vnc)
|Category:||Spike/Research||Estimated time:||8.00 hours|
Currently There are several cases where we cannot switch to a root console when we are in an installation, however being able to switch to a console can be very useful.
This is a follow-up of poo#45020 as we had to exclude some remote installations for that reason.
- AC1: Cases where a switch to console is not possible at all are identified. At the moment that we know about, vnc, ssh.
- AC2: Adapt the current select_console mechanism to those particular cases.
It seems so far that the only cases where we cannot switch to root are on hyperv, and for remote installations (remote_ssh_controller and remote_vnc_controller). But more verification would be wise.
#4 Updated by JERiveraMoya about 1 year ago
- Subject changed from [functional][y] Evaluate how to switch between TTYs in more, or all cases. to [functional][y][timebox:8h] Evaluate how to switch between TTYs in specific scenarios (hyperv, ssh,vnc)
- Description updated (diff)
- Status changed from New to Workable
#5 Updated by SLindoMansilla about 1 year ago
- Category set to Spike/Research
As a result of backlog triaging (see https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqatests/wiki#ticket-backlog-triaging for more information).
Please, feel free to adjust the category or the "[label]" if you think different.
#7 Updated by JRivrain about 1 year ago
- Status changed from Workable to In Progress
Extract of lib/susedistribution.pm:
On Hyper-V console switch from one console to another is not possible with the general
'Ctrl-Alt-Fx' binding as the combination is lost somewhere in VNC-to-RDP translation.
For VT-to-VT switch we use 'Alt-Fx' binding, however this is not enough for X11-to-VT
switch, which requires the missing 'Ctrl'. However, in X11 we can use
to do the switch for us.
This is expected to be executed either from activate_console(), or from console_selected(),
test variable C
#9 Updated by JRivrain about 1 year ago
- Assignee deleted (
I bravely un-assign myself from this ticket to let someone more experienced with perl and openqa to take over, I am not yet confident enough to touch this.
Examples of particular cases: ssh, vnc, hyperv
My conclusion so far when we have to switch to install_shell:
- make sure to enable ssh in bootloader on the guest
- open another TTY on the remote controller, from which we open a new ssh session to the guest. This should work in all particular cases.