Project

General

Profile

action #107881

[retro] Conduct a zombie scrum team survey

Added by cdywan 4 months ago. Updated 2 months ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
Organisational
Target version:
Start date:
2022-03-04
Due date:
2022-04-15
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Difficulty:

Description

Motivation

We've done this before, although the team has changed in the meanwhile.And we got some interesting results. Let's try this again!

You can have a look at an example result to get an idea of what to expect. And the process is roughly this:

  • We'll look at how this works together
  • Members in our team answer questions
  • We ask stakeholders to contribute their perspective
  • Gain some interesting insights on how the team is doing

Related issues

Related to openQA Infrastructure - action #109635: Check grafana monitoring host performance size:MWorkable2022-04-07

Related to QA - action #108569: [tools] There are groups in Slack, we could have one for tools team, e.g. to be pinged in #eng-testingResolved2022-03-182022-04-30

History

#1 Updated by cdywan 4 months ago

  • Status changed from Workable to In Progress

#2 Updated by cdywan 4 months ago

My results from the last time this was conducted in the Tools team are still available, and I'll share them in the team chat, in addition to sharing the individual links within the team and stakeholders.

#3 Updated by openqa_review 4 months ago

  • Due date set to 2022-03-26

Setting due date based on mean cycle time of SUSE QE Tools

#4 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Feedback

I shared the stakeholder link via the squad of squads, and got one from a team lead perspective. Looking forward to the results coming in

#5 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

  • Due date changed from 2022-03-26 to 2022-04-01

cdywan wrote:

I shared the stakeholder link via the squad of squads, and got one from a team lead perspective. Looking forward to the results coming in

I'd like to bring this up in the next retro.

#6 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

  • Due date changed from 2022-04-01 to 2022-04-08

Bumping the Due Date to avoid getting reminders

#7 Updated by okurz 3 months ago

It is nice to see that we are often very good or assessed very good by our stakeholders compared to the mean value of survey takers.

Topics we could follow up with

  • (Lack of) Team Conflict -> Ask team for feedback
  • Stakeholders: Quality -> Consider automatic rollback, better monitoring of fail rate, more test coverage for related tooling
  • Stakeholders: Responsiveness
  • Management support -> Address with our managers . A later point "Supporting leadership" answered by leaders is also judged as below average so at least that is inline
  • Support for Stakeholder Concern & Support for Continuous Improvement: Supporters judge (their) support better than we do (what we receive)

I suggest to followup in one or multiple of our extended meeting slots, e.g. extension meeting Thursday morning or (ab-)use the mob sessions.

#8 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

  • Due date changed from 2022-04-08 to 2022-04-15

okurz wrote:

I suggest to followup in one or multiple of our extended meeting slots, e.g. extension meeting Thursday morning or (ab-)use the mob sessions.

I brought it up after the daily, and Tina gave the feedback that she missed the opportunity to respond to the survey. So I'm thinking I need to advertise it better (since there's 3 different links I only shared them on Slack and maybe that got lost in scrollback too quickly).

I'm sending out invites via Slack and email to discuss on Thursday 10.45-11.10 (will consider follow-ups depending on the outcome).

#9 Updated by okurz 3 months ago

  • Category set to Organisational

cdywan wrote:

I'm sending out invites via Slack and email to discuss on Thursday 10.45-11.10 (will consider follow-ups depending on the outcome).

I think more time is needed than that (break) time hence I suggested the optional extension slot. But we can also try that and see how far we reach and continue later where we left.

#10 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

okurz wrote:

cdywan wrote:

I'm sending out invites via Slack and email to discuss on Thursday 10.45-11.10 (will consider follow-ups depending on the outcome).

I think more time is needed than that (break) time hence I suggested the optional extension slot. But we can also try that and see how far we reach and continue later where we left.

I'd like to first assess what we want to focus on (what the team wants to explore, short calls, long calls, input from other teams) before potentially sacrificing the daily and the estimation call (but this is not the ticket to discuss that conflict, so I filed #109551 so I don't forget about that again)

#11 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

(Lack of) Team Conflict
We have conflicts sometimes and we can resolve them
We have an opportunity in retros
We often discuss them right away
ACTION for Cris, conduct next Retro 04-29 w/o PO
Stakeholders: Quality
Consider automatic rollback, better monitoring of fail rate, more test coverage for related tooling
Monitoring on another host?
ACTION for Tina to file a spike ticket
Stakeholders: Responsiveness

We have no Slack room that guarantees openQA-specific questions?
ACTION for Cris to investigate Slack Team/ group people can use to highlight
ACTION for Marius to advertise the openQA Matrix channel more

I'm sending out invites via Slack and email to discuss on Thursday April 14 at 10.45-11.10:

  • Management support
    • Address with our managers
    • A later point "Supporting leadership" answered by leaders is also judged as below average so at least that is inline Support for Stakeholder Concern & Support for Continuous Improvement
  • Supporters judge (their) support better than we do (what we receive)

#12 Updated by tinita 3 months ago

  • Related to action #109635: Check grafana monitoring host performance size:M added

#13 Updated by cdywan 3 months ago

  • Related to action #108569: [tools] There are groups in Slack, we could have one for tools team, e.g. to be pinged in #eng-testing added

#14 Updated by okurz 2 months ago

planned to resolve tomorrow after the call. Optional follow-up tasks to be put into separate tickets.

#15 Updated by cdywan 2 months ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Resolved
  • Management support
    • Hypothesis: We're fine and healthy as a scrum team
  • Supporters judge (their) support better than we do (what we receive)
    • Hypothesis: We're on top of escalating issues we run into

We concluded we're doing pretty good as a team in this regard. Of course, if something else comes to mind it can be brought up in the retro.

Also available in: Atom PDF