Project

General

Profile

tickets #69019

mlmmj control/access discard spam first, then deny html

Added by pjessen 2 months ago. Updated 19 days ago.

Status:
In Progress
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
Email
Start date:
2020-07-16
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

Whilst looking at issue 69004, I noticed some 3000 queued mails on anna. It looks like a lot of spam, denied due to HTML contents. I took a quick look at the mlmmj access settings, and we first deny HTML content, then we discard spam. I think it ought to be the other way around - first discard spam, then deny HTML content. I think that'll significantly reduce the queue on anna/elsa. Now I just have to come with a sed incantation to edit the access settings for our 118 lists :)

History

#1 Updated by pjessen 2 months ago

  • Private changed from Yes to No

What we typically have is this (probably from the list template)

deny ^X-Spam-Status:.*HTML_MESSAGE
discard ^X-Spam-Level: \*\*\*\*\*\*
discard ^X-Spam-Flag: YES

I suggest this is better:

discard ^X-Spam-Level: \*\*\*\*\*\*
discard ^X-Spam-Flag: YES
deny ^X-Spam-Status:.*HTML_MESSAGE

#2 Updated by cboltz 2 months ago

Now I just have to come with a sed incantation to edit the access settings for our 118 lists :)

diff -u and patch might be more helpful in this case ;-)

#3 Updated by pjessen 2 months ago

cboltz wrote:

Now I just have to come up with a sed incantation to edit the access settings for our 118 lists :)

diff -u and patch might be more helpful in this case ;-)

thanks, that is obviously a much better answer!

#4 Updated by pjessen 2 months ago

  • Due date set to 2020-08-07
  • Status changed from New to In Progress

I have changed a few of the lists, maybe 20 or so, I'll wait and see if it has any effect on how much we are denying, I would expect to see a drop.

#5 Updated by pjessen about 1 month ago

  • Due date deleted (2020-08-07)

The number of queued mails on 'anna' has dropped to about 900, which could be seen as a significant improvement. Or just seasonal variation :-)

The following lists have bounces in the queue currently:

opensuse-announce           fixed
opensuse-bugs               html permitted
opensuse-buildservice       fixed
opensuse-commit             html permitted
opensuse-cz                 fixed
opensuse-de                 fixed
opensuse-doc                fixed
opensuse-el                 fixed
opensuse-es                 fixed
opensuse-factory            fixed
opensuse-gnome              fixed
opensuse-hu                 fixed
opensuse-isdn-de            only a single subscriber (gmane)
opensuse-ja                 fixed
opensuse-kde                fixed
opensuse-kde3               fixed
opensuse-kernel
opensuse-m17n
opensuse-marketing
opensuse-packaging
opensuse-ppc
opensuse-programming
opensuse-project
opensuse-releaseteam
opensuse-security
opensuse-security-announce
opensuse-test
opensuse-translation
opensuse-translation-el
opensuse-translation-es
opensuse-updates
opensuse-web
opensuse-xfce

#6 Updated by pjessen 19 days ago

Today 1000 mails queued,

  • 150 are outbound to someone@huckcloud.tk - unable to resolve.
  • 215 outbound to gmail, account full or delivery too rapid
  • 270 outbound to celestika, connection refused
  • 65 outbound to lonestar, timeout
  • 31 outbound to iae.ping.de - Can not forward mail via smtp
  • 25 outbound to planet-school.de - does not resolve.
  • 30 disguise.ga - connection refused.
  • 31 pompous.com.hk - does not resolve.
  • 31 ljung.it - does not resolve
  • 22 schweb.com.ar - does not resolve.

After some more filtering it leaves about 95, of which quite a few are web_jekyll and the bounces. Some were from nginx on pontifex. I have fixed the cron job to send to admin-auto instead.

Also available in: Atom PDF