openSUSE Forums issues
No report made before, since issues are inconsistent, change from time to
time, are not the same for all users all the time.
Please find below our issues and experiences
Our experiences re. the openSUSE Forums:
- lags in loading the forums pages
- delays in replying after submit
- "hangs" where the forums software is "Waiting for suse.com"
- a "Too many redirects" page result
- slow general performance compared to f.e. forums.suse.com The tough thing about reporting issues, is that they're not consistent.
Some of the things we found:
- on "hangs", clicking in the browser's address bar and hitting Enter does load the page ( workaround )
- Removing all involved cookies, i.e. opensuse, suse, microfocus, sometimes(!) seems to improve things for a while, but not consistent. Behaviour can change from one moment to the next.
- from malcolmlewis' research using the developer's Network tool in Firefox: "So looking at the timings between the SUSE and openSUSE forum, it's the openSUSE html code that's the issue IMHO.
SUSE forum uses php to view at thread, around 600ms
openSUSE uses html, around 2000ms 'waiting'....
This is on a HP dm4-3050us (intel core i5, 6GB ram, 750GB of rotating
rust) openSUSE Leap 15 and Firefox 60.2.2 ESR.
After my initial login there was a delay 'waiting' for around 11000ms
for the first thread view...."
- Kim Groneman suggested the culprit to be in the forums headers, since the forums.suse.com performs OK, and is on a same kind of machine.
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team