Implement ClientCutText for VNC to speed up sending text
|Target version:||QA - future|
Assuming the backend's VNC server supports *CutText actions we can send text more quickly using the ClientCutText message: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6143#section-7.5.6
1. Test case calls type_string or perhaps a new call like paste_string
2. Check the guest is in a state which supports the clipboard
2. Check the string for any none latin characters or control codes which may break the operation
3. Send ClientCutText message in VNC.pm
4. Send the appropriate key sequence to perform paste/yank
Similarly ServerCutText can be used to send text in the opposite direction, if the test writer can reliably copy text to the clipboard.
* The backends may not support the *CutText operations
* It may require a daemon to be running on the guest OS
* Not all software supports the clipboard.
* Won't drop keypresses
* May work in most situations
I will investigate further if other attempts to speed up text input are not adequate.
#2 Updated by rpalethorpe over 3 years ago
- Status changed from New to Rejected
This is the client_cut_text function in qemu in full length:
static void client_cut_text(VncState *vs, size_t len, uint8_t *text)
OK, I will close this for now, it doesn't look well supported in the virtualization domain.