tickets #61644

proxy.o.o outage looks like a routing problem

Added by cboltz 2 months ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:22/12/2019
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:servers hosted in NBG
Target version:-
Duration:

Description

I have interesting[tm] news - the proxy.o.o problems/outage we currently see could be a routing problem.

Currently I can't reach it from my home ("connection refused") with the following route:

traceroute bugs.opensuse.org
traceroute to bugs.opensuse.org (195.135.221.140), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  2.723 ms  2.712 ms  2.732 ms
 2  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  10.598 ms  10.609 ms  10.593 ms
 3  xxxxx-isp.superkabel.de (83.169.183.xxx)  28.054 ms  28.820 ms  30.822 ms
 4  ip5886eb6b.static.kabel-deutschland.de (88.134.235.107)  31.753 ms  30.838 ms  31.723 ms
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  ae0-429.fra20.core-backbone.com (81.95.2.153)  43.173 ms  34.977 ms  33.792 ms
 8  ae2-2001.nbg30.core-backbone.com (81.95.15.161)  39.778 ms  27.665 ms  27.917 ms
 9  core-backbone.microfocus.com (5.56.18.210)  34.328 ms  36.828 ms  35.711 ms
10..30  * * *

The interesting thing is that I can reach it from a Hetzner rootserver, which seems to have a more direct connection (see hop 4 - and BTW, please fix the lowercase u ;-)

traceroute bugs.opensuse.org
traceroute to bugs.opensuse.org (195.135.221.140), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  static.xxxxx.clients.your-server.de (88.99.101.xxx)  0.286 ms  0.276 ms  0.329 ms
 2  core22.fsn1.hetzner.com (213.239.245.241)  0.316 ms core21.fsn1.hetzner.com (213.239.245.237)  0.194 ms core22.fsn1.hetzner.com (213.239.245.241)  0.305 ms
 3  juniper5.nbg1.hetzner.com (213.239.252.237)  2.930 ms  2.927 ms  2.921 ms
 4  GigE-0.SuSE.DHK.N-IX.net (195.85.217.20)  2.713 ms  2.709 ms  2.704 ms
 5..30  * * *

History

#1 Updated by cboltz 2 months ago

  • Private changed from Yes to No

#2 Updated by cboltz about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed

Closing, since the problem seems to be gone.

For the records: I just switched static.o.o back from CNAME login2.o.o (which I had setup as a workaround) to CNAME proxy.o.o. Strictly speaking, this is different than before because originally static.o.o was 195.135.221.143 / 2620:113:80c0:8::18, which are two additional IPs on anna/elsa. I don't see a real need to have static.o.o on a different IP, therefore I use CNAME proxy.o.o now.

#3 Updated by tampakrap about 1 month ago

Indeed, there is no need for a different IP for static.o.o. It was on a different IP because it was not behind the proxy in the past. Since it moved to the proxy though, the extra IP can simply go away

Also available in: Atom PDF