[tools] less getty workarounds possible? (was: getty workarounds should not be needed on Linux >= 4.20.4)
|Category:||Enhancement to existing tests|
|Target version:||openQA Project - Current Sprint|
We are currently applying some workarounds to make access to the serial port from tests more reliable. According to https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1112108#c3 this should not be necessary anymore with Linux => 4.20.4 so we should try this out.
- AC1: Less getty related workarounds are applied for Tumbleweed and more recent versions of our products or comment in bug
- AC2: Comment in bug about the result
- Status changed from New to Rejected
- Assignee set to riafarov
@okurz: I guess, you've forgot that we did that to avoid polluted serial with login messages. So the only thing we have related to the bug is it's detection, which I would leave in order to see if we still have this issue in other distributions/versions.
Let me know if I've missed something and feel free to reopen the ticket.
- Subject changed from [functional][y] getty workarounds should not be needed on Linux >= 4.20.4 to [tools] less getty workarounds possible? (was: getty workarounds should not be needed on Linux >= 4.20.4)
- Status changed from Rejected to Workable
- Assignee changed from riafarov to okurz
- Target version set to future
hm, I see. Seems to make sense so far and of course we do not need at all to rush things. I would just like to eventually simplify the tests again. There are other ways as well of course, e.g. not do the same in every newly spawned xterm and such but this might be even something else. I will pick the ticket up on me then and put it on hold for now. Thanks for your assessment.
- Status changed from Workable to Feedback
First optimizing calls: https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/pull/7084
#6 Updated by okurz about 1 month ago
- Status changed from Feedback to In Progress
So https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/pull/7084 tried to optimize some calls but we are still applying the getty disabling as workaround. I created a patch in https://github.com/okurz/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/tree/enhance/getty to disable that workaround on more recent products, only Tumbleweed in this case to be on the safe side.
for i in https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1165424 https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1165398 https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1162614 https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1163571 https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1166172 https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1166050; do openqa-clone-custom-git-refspec https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse/pull/9534 $i ; done
- Created job #1166351: opensuse-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Build20200205-gnuhealth@64bit -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166351
- Created job #1166352: opensuse-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Build20200205-minimalx@64bit -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166352
- Created job #1166353: opensuse-Tumbleweed-DVD-aarch64-Build20200201-gnome@aarch64 -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166353
- Created job #1166354: opensuse-Tumbleweed-DVD-aarch64-Build20200201-zdup-Leap-15.0-gnome@aarch64 -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166354
- Created job #1166355: opensuse-15.2-DVD-x86_64-Build566.1-zdup-Leap-15.1-kde@64bit -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166355
- Created job #1166356: opensuse-15.2-DVD-x86_64-Build563.1-textmode@64bit -> https://openqa.opensuse.org/t1166356
#7 Updated by okurz about 1 month ago
- Due date set to 18/02/2020
- Status changed from In Progress to Feedback
#8 Updated by okurz about 1 month ago
- Due date changed from 18/02/2020 to 25/02/2020
PR is merged and seems to work but I realized we still have a check if the getty is active in
become_root which we can also disable so: