Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try one of the suggestions size:M
The machine "power8" is currently not available for o3 meaning there is currently no ppc testing in o3 at all. Currently qa-power8-3 is the only machine providing ppc64le qemu based testing for o3 meaning that we do not have redundancy. The goal is to use the existing machine qa-power8 for o3 ppc testing as well.
- AC1: We can manage VMs on qa-power8 usable for openQA (either qemu based on a baremetal-OPAL-installation or HMC based, whatever is easier)
- Do one of the following suggestions from #119059#note-47
- Physically connect keyboard+display(or serial)+storage to the machine, install Linux and enable remote IPMI
- Connect back to HMC, install VM and try to enable remote ipmi to the bare-metal machine and then set back to OPAL and continue with bare-metal Linux installation (preferred by cdywan, sriedel, nicksinger)
- Follow up with the discussions with IBM in bugzilla to find out what is the right way to install remote controlled bare-metal in OPAL mode (preferred by mkittler, okurz)
- As discussed in #119059#note-43 as alternative: we could continue with the HMC mode. This would likely mean setting up an HMC within the o3 network (or making HMC 3 somehow accessible).
Out of scope¶
- Install openQA-worker on the machine
- Create SUSE-IT EngInfra ticket to move the machine's ethernet interface based on racktables information to the o3 network (VLAN 662)
- Add according networking information on o3 into /etc/dnsmasq.d/openqa.conf
- Configure the machine OS for dhcp client mode and ensure the machine gets an address from o3 dnsmasq
- Ensure the system is able to execute openQA tests from o3
#1 Updated by okurz 3 months ago
- Copied from action #119059: Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - network connected? added
#2 Updated by okurz 3 months ago
- Copied to action #125219: Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try the other suggestions added
#3 Updated by okurz about 2 months ago
We need to work on #125087 first
#4 Updated by cdywan about 1 month ago
- Status changed from Workable to In Progress
- Assignee set to cdywan
I'm taking a look. Ideally half the ticket is asking the experts and stakeholders, and I can avoid shooting in the dark too much.
#5 Updated by openqa_review about 1 month ago
- Due date set to 2023-05-18
Setting due date based on mean cycle time of SUSE QE Tools
#6 Updated by cdywan about 1 month ago
- Subject changed from Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try one of the suggestions size:M to Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try one of the suggestions
- Status changed from In Progress to New
I think we should re-estimate. There is something to clarify with AC0.
#7 Updated by okurz about 1 month ago
- Description updated (diff)
Updated the ticket motivation and acceptance criteria to the current state and understanding what is needed.
#8 Updated by okurz about 1 month ago
- Subject changed from Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try one of the suggestions to Use qa-power8 for ppc tests in o3 - try one of the suggestions size:M
- Status changed from New to Workable
#10 Updated by okurz 24 days ago
- Due date changed from 2023-05-18 to 2023-05-26
- Assignee set to okurz
nobody from us is motivated to look into all the not so promising options so I will announce that we will not work on that, that there is a significant risk for ppc64le testing in particular on o3 and then put this ticket and related tickets to "future"
#11 Updated by okurz 19 days ago
- Due date deleted (
- Status changed from Workable to Resolved
I announced within
Hi everyone. Announcement regarding the ressources for ppc64le testing on openqa.opensuse.org: Currently there is a single machine in a SUSE server room providing ppc64le qemu based testing for o3 meaning that we do not have redundancy. We tried to bring more machines into usage but failed to do so due to multiple reasons and will not continue with our attempts. This means that there is a single-point-of-failure with the one and only one machine present with the associated risks. https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/125216 and related tickets for details.