Project

General

Profile

Wiki » History » Version 299

okurz, 2021-09-01 06:58
Our common userbase: Add openqa.gnome.org

1 27 okurz
{{toc}}
2 27 okurz
3 27 okurz
# Test results overview
4 257 cdywan
* Latest report based on openQA test results for [OSD](https://openqa.io.suse.de/openqa-review/openqa_suse_de_status.html) and [SLE15](https://openqa.io.suse.de/openqa-review/openqa_sle15_status.html)
5 259 okurz
  * Find more reports on https://openqa.io.suse.de/openqa-review/
6 36 okurz
* only "blocker" or "shipstopper" bugs on "interesting products" for SLE: http://s.qa.suse.de/qa_sle_bugs_sle , SLE15: http://s.qa.suse.de/qa_sle_bugs_sle15_all, SLE12: http://s.qa/qa_sle_bugs_sle12_2
7 1 mgriessmeier
8 64 okurz
# QE tools - Team description
9 1 mgriessmeier
10 84 okurz
"The easiest way to provide complete quality for your software"
11 84 okurz
12 150 okurz
We provide the most complete free-software system-level testing solution to ensure high quality of operating systems, complete software stacks and multi-machine services for software distribution builders, system integration engineers and release teams. We continuously develop, maintain and release our software to be readily used by anyone while we offer a friendly community to support you in your needs. We maintain the main public and SUSE internal openQA server as well as supporting tools in the surrounding ecosystem.
13 84 okurz
14 27 okurz
## Team responsibilities
15 1 mgriessmeier
16 27 okurz
* Develop and maintain upstream openQA
17 27 okurz
* Administration of openqa.suse.de and workers (But not physical hardware, as these belong to the departments that purchased them and we merely facilitate)
18 27 okurz
* Helps administrating and maintaining openqa.opensuse.org, including coordination of efforts aiming at solving problems affecting o3
19 252 okurz
* Develop and maintain internal maintenance QA tools (SMELT, template generator, MTUI, openQA QAM bot, etc, e.g. from https://confluence.suse.com/display/maintenanceqa/Toolchain+for+maintenance+quality+engineering)
20 27 okurz
* Support colleagues, team members and open source community
21 1 mgriessmeier
22 27 okurz
## Out of scope
23 27 okurz
24 27 okurz
* Maintenance of individual tests
25 27 okurz
* Maintenance of physical hardware
26 296 okurz
* Maintenance of special worker addendums needed for tests, e.g. external hypervisor hosts for s390x, powerVM , xen, hyperv (Clarification: We maintain the code for all backends but we are no experts in specific domains. So we always try to help but it's a case by case decision based on what we realistically can provide based on our competence.)
27 27 okurz
* Ticket triaging of http://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqatests/
28 214 okurz
* Setup of configuration for individual products to test, e.g. new job groups in openQA
29 27 okurz
* Feature development within the backend for single teams (commonly provided by teams themselves)
30 27 okurz
31 95 okurz
## Our common userbase
32 95 okurz
33 299 okurz
Known users of our products: Most SUSE QA engineers, SUSE SLE release managers and release engineers, every SLE developer submitting "submit requests" in OBS/IBS where product changes are tested as part of the "staging" process before changes are accepted in either SLE or openSUSE (staging tests must be green before packages are accepted), same for all openSUSE contributors submitting to either openSUSE:Factory (for Tumbleweed, SLE, future Leap versions) or Leap, other GNU/Linux distributions like Fedora https://openqa.fedoraproject.org/ , Debian https://openqa.debian.net/ , https://openqa.qubes-os.org/ , https://openqa.endlessm.com/ , the GNOME project https://openqa.gnome.org, openSUSE KDE contributors (with their own workflows, https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/23 ), openSUSE GNOME contributors (https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/35 ), OBS developers (https://openqa.opensuse.org/parent_group_overview/7#grouped_by_build) , wicked developers (https://gitlab.suse.de/wicked-maintainers/wicked-ci#openqa), and of course our team itself for "openQA-in-openQA Tests" :) https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/24
34 95 okurz
Keep in mind: "Users of openQA" and talking about "openSUSE release managers and engineers" means SUSE employees but also employees of other companies, also development partners of SUSE.
35 95 okurz
In summary our products, for example openQA, are a critical part of many development processes hence outages and regressions are disruptive and costly. Hence we need to ensure a high quality in production hence we practice DevOps with a slight tendency to a conservative approach for introducing changes while still ensuring a high development velocity.
36 95 okurz
37 27 okurz
## How we work
38 27 okurz
39 187 okurz
The QE Tools team is following the DevOps approach working using a lightweight Agile approach also inspired by [Extreme Programming](https://extremeprogramming.org/) and [Kanban](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban_(development)) and of course the original http://agilemanifesto.org/. We plan and track our works using tickets on https://progress.opensuse.org . We pick tickets based on priority and planning decisions. We use weekly meetings as checkpoints for progress and also track cycle and lead times to crosscheck progress against expectations.
40 27 okurz
41 83 okurz
* [tools team - backlog](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=230): The complete backlog of the team
42 86 okurz
* [tools team - backlog, high-level view](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=526): A high-level view of the backlog, all epics and higher (an "epic" includes multiple stories)
43 86 okurz
* [tools team - backlog, top-level view](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=524): A top-level view of the backlog, only sagas and higher (a "saga" is bigger than an epic and can include multiple epics, i.e.  "epic of epics")
44 67 okurz
* [tools team - what members of the team are working on](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=400): To check progress and know what the team is currently occupied with
45 116 okurz
* [tools team - closed within last 60 days](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=541): What was recently resolved
46 1 mgriessmeier
47 184 okurz
*Be aware:* Custom queries in the right-hand sidebar of individual projects, e.g. https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqav3/issues , show queries with the same name but are limited to the scope of the specific projects so can show only a subset of all relevant tickets.
48 1 mgriessmeier
49 185 okurz
### What we expect from team members
50 185 okurz
51 222 okurz
* Actively show visible contributions to our products every workday *(pull requests, code review, ticket updates in decending priority, i.e. if you are very active in pull requests + code review ticket updates are much less important)*
52 186 okurz
* Be responsive over usual communication platforms and channels *(user questions, team discussions)*
53 186 okurz
* Stick to our rules *(this wiki, SLOs, alert handling)*
54 185 okurz
55 32 okurz
### Common tasks for team members
56 32 okurz
57 32 okurz
This is a list of common tasks that we follow, e.g. reviewing daily based on individual steps in the DevOps Process ![DevOps Process](devops-process_25p.png)
58 32 okurz
59 32 okurz
* **Plan**:
60 32 okurz
 * State daily learning and planned tasks in internal chat room
61 32 okurz
 * Review backlog for time-critical, triage new tickets, pick tickets from backlog; see https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/qa/wiki#How-we-work-on-our-backlog
62 32 okurz
* **Code**:
63 1 mgriessmeier
 * See project specific contribution instructions
64 72 okurz
 * Provide peer-review following https://github.com/notifications based on projects within the scope of https://github.com/os-autoinst/ with the exception of test code repositories, especially https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA, https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst, https://github.com/os-autoinst/scripts, https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-openQA, https://github.com/os-autoinst/openqa-trigger-from-obs, https://github.com/os-autoinst/openqa_review as well as other projects like https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/openQABot/
65 32 okurz
* **Build**:
66 32 okurz
 * See project specific contribution instructions
67 32 okurz
* **Test**:
68 32 okurz
 * Monitor failures on https://travis-ci.org/ relying on https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:openQA/os-autoinst_dev for os-autoinst (email notifications)
69 32 okurz
 * Monitor failures on https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/os-autoinst/openQA?branch=master relying on https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/devel:openQA:ci for openQA (email notifications)
70 32 okurz
* **Release**:
71 32 okurz
 * By default we use the rolling-release model for all projects unless specified otherwise
72 260 tinita
 * Monitor [devel:openQA on OBS](https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/devel:openQA) (all packages and all subprojects) for failures, ensure packages are published on http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/openQA/, ensure to be added as a Maintainer for that project (members need to be added individually, you can ask existing team members, e.g. the SM)
73 32 okurz
 * Monitor http://jenkins.qa.suse.de/view/openQA-in-openQA/ for the openQA-in-openQA Tests and automatic submissions of os-autoinst and openQA to openSUSE:Factory through https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/devel:openQA:tested
74 32 okurz
* **Deploy**:
75 32 okurz
 * o3 is automatically deployed (daily), see https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqav3/wiki/Wiki#Automatic-update-of-o3
76 198 mkittler
 * osd is automatically deployed (multiple times per week), monitor https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/osd-deployment/pipelines and watch for notification email to openqa@suse.de
77 32 okurz
* **Operate**:
78 32 okurz
 * Apply infrastructure changes from https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/salt-states-openqa (osd) or manually over sshd (o3)
79 37 okurz
 * Monitor for backup, see https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-sle/backup-server-salt
80 32 okurz
config changes in salt (osd), backups, job group configuration changes
81 61 okurz
 * Ensure old unused/non-matching needles are cleaned up (osd+o3), see #73387
82 217 okurz
 * Maintain https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/qamops and https://confluence.suse.com/display/maintenanceqa/qam.suse.de
83 32 okurz
* **Monitor**:
84 106 cdywan
 * React on alerts from [stats.openqa-monitor.qa.suse.de](https://stats.openqa-monitor.qa.suse.de/alerting/list?state=not_ok) (emails on [osd-admins@suse.de](http://mailman.suse.de/mailman/listinfo/osd-admins) and login via LDAP credentials, you must be an *editor* to edit panels and hooks via the web UI)
85 106 cdywan
 * Look for incomplete jobs or scheduled not being worked on o3 and osd (API or webUI) - see also #81058 for *power*
86 44 okurz
 * React on alerts from https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/auto-review/, https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/openqa-review/, https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/monitor-o3 (subscribe to projects for notifications)
87 258 okurz
 * Be responsive on #opensuse-factory (irc://irc.libera.chat/opensuse-factory, formerly irc://chat.freenode.net/opensuse-factory) for help, support and collaboration (Unless you have a better solution it is suggested to use [Element.io](https://matrix.to/#/!ilXMcHXPOjTZeauZcg:libera.chat) or [Element.io](https://app.element.io/#/room/%23freenode_%23opensuse-factory:matrix.org) for a sustainable presence; you also need a [registered IRC account](https://libera.chat/guides/registration), formerly [freenode](https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration))
88 283 cdywan
 * Be responsive on [#qa-tools in Rocket.Chat](https://chat.suse.de/channel/qa-tools) for internal coordination and alarm handling, fallback to #suse-qe-tools:opensuse.org (matrix) as backup if other channels are temporarily down, alternatively public channels on matrix/ IRC if the topics are not confidential
89 1 mgriessmeier
 * Be responsive on [#testing](https://chat.suse.de/channel/testing) for help, support and collaboration
90 50 okurz
 * Be responsive on mailing lists opensuse-factory@opensuse.org and openqa@suse.de (see https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_lists_subscription)
91 142 okurz
 * Be responsive in https://matrix.to/#/#openqa:opensuse.org or the bridged room [#openqa](https://discord.com/channels/366985425371398146/817367056956653621) on https://discord.gg/opensuse if you have a discord account
92 31 okurz
93 27 okurz
### How we work on our backlog
94 1 mgriessmeier
95 27 okurz
* "due dates" are only used as exception or reminders
96 27 okurz
* every team member can pick up tickets themselves
97 27 okurz
* everybody can set priority, PO can help to resolve conflicts
98 67 okurz
* consider the [ready, not assigned/blocked/low](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=490) query as preferred
99 60 cdywan
* ask questions in tickets, even potentially "stupid" questions, oftentimes descriptions are unclear and should be improved
100 62 okurz
* There are "low-level infrastructure tasks" only conducted by some team members, the "DevOps" aspect does not include that but focusses on the joint development and operation of our main products
101 74 okurz
* Consider tickets with the subject keyword or tag "learning" as good learning opportunities for people new to a certain area. Experts in the specific area should prefer helping others but not work on the ticket
102 91 okurz
* For tickets which are out of the scope of the team remove from backlog, delegate to corresponding teams or persons but be nice and supportive, e.g. [SUSE-IT](https://sd.suse.com/), [EngInfra](https://infra.nue.suse.com/) also see [SLA](https://confluence.suse.com/display/qasle/Service+Level+Agreements), [test maintainer](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqatests/), QE-LSG PrjMgr/mgmt
103 284 cdywan
 * For [EngInfra](https://sd.suse.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/1) tickets ensure there's a ticket for it in [openQA Infrastructure](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqa-infrastructure/issues), use `Engineering-Infra` under **Select a system**, use `[openqa] …` in the subject, reference the progress ticket and put `osd-admins@suse.de` in the **Request participants** field. Use the tracker ticket for internal notes
104 112 okurz
* Whenever we apply changes to the infrastructure we should have a ticket
105 88 okurz
* Refactoring and general improvements are conducted while we work on features or regression fixes
106 89 okurz
* For every regression or bigger issue that we encounter try to come up with at least two improvements, e.g. the actual issue is fixed and similar cases are prevented in the future with better tests and optionally also monitoring is improved
107 268 okurz
* For critical issues and very big problems collect "lessons learned", e.g. in notes in the ticket or a meeting with minutes in the ticket, consider https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_whys and answer at least the following questions: "User impact, outwards-facing communication and mitigation, upstream improvement ideas, Why did the issue appear, can we reduce our detection time, can we prevent similar issues in the future, what can we improve technically, what can we improve in our processes". Also see https://youtu.be/_Dv4M39Arec
108 194 okurz
* okurz proposes to use "#NoEstimates". Though that topic is controversial and often misunderstood. https://ronjeffries.com/xprog/articles/the-noestimates-movement/ describes it nicely :) Hence tickets should be evenly sized and no estimation numbers should be provided on tickets
109 203 okurz
* If you really want you can look at the [burndown chart](https://progress.opensuse.org/agile/charts?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f%5B%5D=chart_period&op%5Bchart_period%5D=%3E%3Ct-&v%5Bchart_period%5D%5B%5D=90&f%5B%5D=fixed_version_id&op%5Bfixed_version_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bfixed_version_id%5D%5B%5D=418&f%5B%5D=&chart=burndown_chart&chart_unit=issues&interval_size=day) (some people wish to have this) but we consider it unnecessary due to the continuous development, not a project with defined end. Also an [agile board](https://progress.opensuse.org/agile/board?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f%5B%5D=fixed_version_id&op%5Bfixed_version_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bfixed_version_id%5D%5B%5D=418&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=%3D&f_status%5B%5D=1&f_status%5B%5D=12&f_status%5B%5D=2&f_status%5B%5D=15&f_status%5B%5D=4&c%5B%5D=tracker&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=cf_16) is available but likely due to problems within the redmine installation ordering cards is not reliable.
110 229 okurz
* Write to qa-team@suse.de as well for critical changes as well as chat channels
111 229 okurz
* Everyone should propose reverts of features if we find problems that can not be immediately fixed or worked around in production
112 112 okurz
113 27 okurz
114 55 okurz
#### Definition of DONE
115 55 okurz
116 55 okurz
Also see http://www.allaboutagile.com/definition-of-done-10-point-checklist/ and https://www.scrumalliance.org/community/articles/2008/september/what-is-definition-of-done-%28dod%29
117 55 okurz
118 55 okurz
* Code changes are made available via a pull request on a version control repository, e.g. github for openQA
119 55 okurz
* [Guidelines for git commits](http://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/) have been followed
120 55 okurz
* Code has been reviewed (e.g. in the github PR)
121 1 mgriessmeier
* Depending on criticality/complexity/size/feature: A local verification test has been run, e.g. post link to a local openQA machine or screenshot or logfile
122 268 okurz
* For regressions: A regression fix is provided, flaws in the design, monitoring, process have been considered
123 55 okurz
* Potentially impacted package builds have been considered, e.g. openSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap, Fedora, etc.
124 55 okurz
* Code has been merged (either by reviewer or "mergify" bot or reviewee after 'LGTM' from others)
125 55 okurz
* Code has been deployed to osd and o3 (monitor automatic deployment, apply necessary config or infrastructure changes)
126 55 okurz
127 56 okurz
#### Definition of READY for new features
128 55 okurz
129 55 okurz
The following points should be considered before a new feature ticket is READY to be implemented:
130 55 okurz
131 55 okurz
* Follow the ticket template from https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqav3/wiki/#Feature-requests
132 55 okurz
* A clear motivation or user expressing a wish is available
133 266 okurz
* Acceptance criteria are stated (see ticket template) or use `[timeboxed:<nr>h]` with `<nr>` hours for tasks that should be limited in time, e.g. a research task with `[timeboxed:20h] research …`
134 55 okurz
* add tasks as a hint where to start
135 55 okurz
136 1 mgriessmeier
#### WIP-limits (reference "Kanban development")
137 28 okurz
138 79 cdywan
* global limit of 10 tickets, and 3 tickets per person respectively [In Progress](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=505)
139 79 cdywan
* limit of 20 tickets per person in [Feedback](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=520)
140 27 okurz
141 1 mgriessmeier
#### Target numbers or "guideline", "should be", in priorities
142 1 mgriessmeier
143 172 okurz
1. *New, untriaged QA (openQA, etc.):* [0 (daily)](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/qa/issues?query_id=576) . Every ticket should have a target version, e.g. "Ready" for QE tools team, "future" if unplanned, others for other teams
144 64 okurz
1. *Untriaged "tools" tagged:* [0 (daily)](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=481) . Every ticket should have a target version, e.g. "Ready" for QE tools team, "future" if unplanned, others for other teams
145 273 okurz
1. *Workable (properly defined):* [10-40](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=478) . Enough tickets to reflect a proper plan but not too many to limit unfinished data (see "waste")
146 82 okurz
1. *Overall backlog length:* [ideally less than 100](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=230) . Similar as for "Workable". Enough tickets to reflect a proper roadmap as well as give enough flexibility for all unfinished work but limited to a feasible number that can still be overlooked by the team without loosing overview. One more reason for a maximum of 100 are that pagination in redmine UI allows to show only up to 100 issues on one page at a time, same for redmine API access.
147 71 okurz
1. *Within due-date:* [0 (daily/weekly)](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=514) . We should take due-dates serious, finish tickets fast and at the very least update tickets with an explanation why the due-date could not be hold and update to a reasonable time in the future based on usual cycle time expectations
148 27 okurz
149 27 okurz
#### SLOs (service level objectives)
150 27 okurz
151 27 okurz
* for picking up tickets based on priority, first goal is "urgency removal":
152 123 okurz
 * **immediate**: [<1 day](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=542)
153 123 okurz
 * **urgent**: [<1 week](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=543)
154 123 okurz
 * **high**: [<1 month](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=544)
155 124 okurz
 * **normal**: [<1 year](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=545)
156 118 cdywan
 * **low**: undefined
157 1 mgriessmeier
158 123 okurz
* aim for cycle time of individual tickets (not epics or sagas): 1h-2w
159 31 okurz
160 54 mkittler
#### Backlog prioritization
161 47 okurz
162 47 okurz
When we prioritize tickets we assess:
163 47 okurz
1. What the main use cases of openQA are among all users, be it SUSE QA engineers, other SUSE employees, openSUSE contributors as well as any other outside user of openQA
164 47 okurz
2. We try to understand how many persons and products are affected by feature requests as well as regressions (or "concrete bugs" as the ticket category is called within the openQA Project) and prioritize issues affecting more persons and products and use cases over limited issues
165 47 okurz
3. We prioritize regressions higher than work on (new) feature requests
166 47 okurz
4. If a workaround or alternative exists then this lowers priority. We prioritize tasks that need deep understanding of the architecture and an efficient low-level implementation over convenience additions that other contributors are more likely to be able to implement themselves.
167 47 okurz
168 38 okurz
### Team meetings
169 38 okurz
170 265 cdywan
* **Daily:** Use (internal) chat actively, e.g. formulate your findings or achievements and plans for the day, "think out loud" while working on individual problems. Optionally join the call every day 1030-1045 CET/CEST with optional extension for selected topics; play **planning poker** during the extended daily (see blow)
171 1 mgriessmeier
  * *Goal*: Quick support on problems, feedback on plans, collaboration and self-reflection (compare to [Daily Scrum](https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#events-daily))
172 265 cdywan
* **Planning poker:** Every Thursday 1300-1400 CET/CEST in [m.o.o/suse_qa_tools](https://meet.opensuse.org/suse_qa_tools) Estimate t-shirt sizes for our tickets
173 265 cdywan
  * *Goal*: Ensure tickets are workable. Refine and split tickets for larger estimates.
174 158 okurz
* **Weekly coordination:** Every Friday 1115-1145(-1215) CET/CEST in [m.o.o/suse_qa_tools](https://meet.opensuse.org/suse_qa_tools) ([fallback](https://meet.jit.si/suse_qa_tools)). Community members and guests are particularly welcome to join this meeting.
175 158 okurz
  * *Goal*: Demo of features, Team backlog coordination and design decisions of bigger topics (compare to [Sprint Planning](https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#events-planning)).
176 166 okurz
  * *Conduction*: Demo recently finished feature work depending on [last closed](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?query_id=572), crosscheck status of team, discuss blocked tasks and upcoming work
177 197 okurz
* **Fortnightly Retrospective:** Friday 1145-1215 CET/CEST every odd week, same room as the weekly meeting. On these days the weekly has hard time limit of 1115-1145.
178 1 mgriessmeier
  * *Goal*: Inspect and adapt, learn and improve (compare to [Sprint Retrospective](https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#events-retro))
179 110 cdywan
  * *Announcements*: Create a new *discussion* with all team members in Rocket Chat and a new [retrospected game](retrospected.com) which can be filled in all week. Specific actions will be recorded as tickets.
180 58 cdywan
* **Virtual coffee talk:** Weekly every Thursday 1100-1120 CET/CEST, same room as the weekly.
181 58 cdywan
  * *Goal*: Connect and bond as a team, understand each other (compare to [Informal Communication in an all-remote environment](https://about.gitlab.com/company/culture/all-remote/informal-communication))
182 58 cdywan
* **extension on-demand:** Optional meeting on invitation in the suggested time slot Thursday 1000-1200 CET/CEST, in the same room as the weekly, on-demand or replacing the *Virtual coffee talk*.
183 1 mgriessmeier
  * *Goal*: Introduce, research and discuss bigger topics, e.g. backlog overview, processes and workflows
184 175 okurz
* **Workshop:** Friday 0900-0950 CET/CEST every week in [m.o.o/suse_qa_tools](https://meet.opensuse.org/suse_qa_tools) especially for community members and users! We will run this every week with the plan to move to a fortnightly cadence every even week.
185 110 cdywan
  * *Goal*: Demonstrate new and important features, explain already existing, but less well-known features, and discuss questions from the user community. All your questions are welcome!
186 110 cdywan
  * *Announcements*: Drop a reminder with a teaser in [#testing](https://chat.suse.de/channel/testing).
187 267 okurz
  * *Recordings*: Consider recording, e.g. using OBS, and upload to youtube, link on topics link. SUSE internal topics can be published on http://streaming.nue.suse.com/i/QE-Tools-Workshops/ by ssh-uploading to ftp@streaming.nue.suse.com:~/i/QE-Tools-Workshops/ (get your SSH key added by existing team members, e.g. okurz)
188 144 cdywan
189 177 okurz
#### Best practices for meetings
190 177 okurz
* Meetings concerning the whole team are moderated by the scrum master by default, who should join the call early and verify that the meeting itself and any tools used are working or e.g. advise the use of the fallback option.
191 177 okurz
* We would prefer UTC for meeting times to be globally fair but as many other SUSE meetings are bound to European time we need to stick to that as well.
192 177 okurz
* It is recommended to use the Jitsi Audio-feedback feature, blue/green circles depending on microphone volume. Everybody should ensure that at least "two green balls" show up
193 177 okurz
* Hand signals over video can be used, e.g. "waving/circling hands": "I am lost, please bring me into discussion again"; "T-Sign": "I need a break"; "Raised hand": "I would like to speak"
194 193 okurz
* Discuss topics relevant for all within the common meetings, continue discussions pro-actively over asynchronous communication, e.g. tickets, as well as conduct topic centered follow-up meetings with only relevant attendees
195 144 cdywan
196 144 cdywan
#### Workshop Topics
197 144 cdywan
198 145 cdywan
* *SUSE QE Tools roadmap*: Recent achievements, mid-term plan and future outlook. Every first Friday every month (Idea based on discussion between okurz and vpelcak 2021-02-09)
199 151 okurz
* **2021-01-15:** *DONE* [openqa-auto-review and openqa-investigate](https://youtu.be/_t3THhdiDag)
200 151 okurz
* **2021-01-29:** *DONE* overview of development repositories on https://github.com/os-autoinst/
201 151 okurz
* **2021-02-05:** *DONE* [powerpc](https://youtu.be/q1CM2AH5aKY) (@nicksinger)
202 151 okurz
* **2021-02-12:** *DONE* [job templates](https://youtu.be/YPuH0bcr524) (@tinita, @cdywan)
203 151 okurz
* **2021-02-19:** *DONE* [SUSE QEM review workflow discussions](https://youtu.be/nCIAcvD7SA8) (@dzedro, @mgrifalconi)
204 151 okurz
* **2021-02-26:** *DONE* open conversation
205 247 okurz
* **2021-03-05:** *DONE* [SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-03](https://youtu.be/vIqBIEMH0O0) (@okurz, @mkittler)
206 164 okurz
* **2021-03-12:** *DONE* [openqa-mon](https://youtu.be/CNLihgMKt30) @ph03nix
207 151 okurz
* **2021-03-19:** *DONE* [multi-machine tests](https://youtu.be/9j-NgNTzJ0w) (@okurz; topic proposal by zluo, initially brought up as: "high RAM and storage requirements")
208 154 okurz
* **2021-03-26:** *skipped due to SUSE Hack Week*
209 154 okurz
* **2021-04-02:** *public holiday*
210 157 okurz
* **2021-04-09:** *DONE* [SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-04](https://youtu.be/nfMilLcCosQ) (@okurz, @cdywan)
211 165 okurz
* **2021-04-16:** *DONE* [openqa.opensuse.org infrastructure overview](https://youtu.be/G5bQKI2tURk) (see question in #88831#note-19 , @okurz)
212 168 okurz
* **2021-04-23:** *DONE* [openQA tests written in Python](https://youtu.be/GjKZ51lnCh0) (@okurz, @cdywan)
213 189 okurz
* **2021-04-30:** *DONE* [openqa-review: A review helper script for openQA with complete test overview reports](https://youtu.be/J2eI0gKnQNM) (@okurz)
214 191 okurz
* **2021-05-07:** *DONE* [SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-05](https://youtu.be/J2eI0gKnQNM) (@okurz, @cdywan)
215 195 okurz
* **2021-05-14:** *DONE* [Review badges and recent changes related to them](https://youtu.be/rduc1z1HB-4) (@mkittler)
216 202 okurz
* **2021-05-21:** *DONE* [openQA API Playground](https://youtu.be/EfXZKbQS-Kg) (@okurz)
217 205 okurz
* **2021-05-28:** *DONE* [Tumbleweed workflows focussed on openQA](https://youtu.be/YiiuNqRPGAk) (proposal by okurz motivated by https://chat.suse.de/channel/testing?msg=EysbgG5kFrHbmjvcy , e.g. impact of failing tests, to-test manager, etc.; by okurz, dimstar?)*
218 220 okurz
* **2021-06-04:** *DONE* SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-06
219 220 okurz
* **2021-06-11:** *DONE* [intro to os-autoinst development (demo how to investigate and test a small fix)](https://youtu.be/IeXaVb5dqy8) (@okurz, @mkittler)
220 227 okurz
* **2021-06-18:** *DONE* [How to be prepared when we introduce openQA features](https://youtu.be/wERuChD-88Y) (@cdywan, @okurz)
221 240 okurz
* **2021-06-25:** *DONE* Workflow discussions: SUSE QE aggregate tests (Proposed by okurz: We would like to learn from others how these are included in the workflow; no recording) (@okurz)
222 249 okurz
* **2021-07-02:** *DONE* [SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-07](https://youtu.be/bppQFEhlfic) (@okurz, @cdywan)
223 276 okurz
* **2021-07-09:** *DONE* A glimpse into the QE Core workflow (@geor, @ilausuch)
224 276 okurz
* **2021-07-16:** *DONE* Testing SLES+HA & SAP Clusters with openQA (@acarvajal)
225 277 okurz
* **2021-07-23:** *DONE* [Sporadic failures](https://youtu.be/TB-QO3Ipo1E) (@punkioudi)
226 279 okurz
* **2021-07-30:** *DONE* [An Overview of the HANA Performance Continuous Integration](https://youtu.be/R4f4Lxr0-zk) (@jgwang)
227 282 cdywan
* **2021-08-06:** *DONE* [SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-08](https://youtu.be/6SVV3Kb0lSI) (@tinita, @cdywan)
228 288 okurz
* **2021-08-13:** *DONE* A proposal to maintain testsuites through a [GitLab CI pipeline](https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/qam-openqa-yml/-/merge_requests/163) @apappas
229 231 cdywan
* SMELT showcase (@vanastasiadis)
230 288 okurz
* **2021-08-20:** *DONE* [Space management](https://youtu.be/g331EIPd_jQ) (@mkittler)
231 291 okurz
* **2021-08-27:** *DONE* [openQA soft-fails (what are they, how to use, when to use, limitations)](https://youtu.be/HZAvYw86-lw) (@okurz)
232 292 okurz
* **2021-09-03:** *SUSE QE Tools roadmap - 2021-09* (@okurz)
233 295 cdywan
* **2021-09-24:** *Scripting openQA from top to bottom* (@cdywan, Felix)
234 151 okurz
* proposal by ybonatakis: Explore integration of other tools, test frameworks, Integration
235 1 mgriessmeier
* proposal by ybonatakis: QA best practices
236 1 mgriessmeier
* proposal by okurz: How we review openQA test results, by SUSE QE teams: Who volunteers from each team to present? Propose a speaker and a date!
237 290 okurz
238 269 acarvajal
* proposal by acarvajal: Follow up to Testing SLES+HA & SAP Clusters with openQA: Test Results & Known Issues (@acarvajal)
239 59 cdywan
240 111 cdywan
#### Announcements
241 111 cdywan
242 111 cdywan
- For every meeting, regular or one-off, desired attendants should be invited to make sure a slot blocked in their calendar and reminders with the correct local time will show up when it's time to join the meeting
243 111 cdywan
  - Create a new event, for example in Thunderbird via the *Calendar* tab or `New > Event` via the menu.
244 111 cdywan
  - Pick your audience, for example `qa-team@suse.de` will reach test developers and reviewers, or you can select individual attendants via their respective email addresses.
245 111 cdywan
  - Add attendees accordingly.
246 111 cdywan
  - Specify the time of the meeting
247 111 cdywan
  - Set a schedule to repeat the event if applicable.
248 111 cdywan
  - Add a location, e.g. https://meet.opensuse.org/suse_qa_tools
249 111 cdywan
  - Don't worry if any of the details might change - you can update the invitation later and participants will be notified.
250 111 cdywan
- See the respective meeting for regular actions such as communication via chat
251 111 cdywan
252 73 okurz
### Team
253 73 okurz
254 73 okurz
The team is comprised of engineers from different teams, some only partially available:
255 251 okurz
* Christian Dywan (Scrum Master) *kalikiana@Freenode*
256 209 okurz
* Oliver Kurz (Product Owner)
257 98 okurz
* Marius Kittler
258 225 dheidler
* Dominik Heidler
259 1 mgriessmeier
* Nick Singer (only OPS)
260 170 okurz
* Sebastian Riedel (Part time contributions)
261 251 okurz
* Tina Müller (Part time (35h)) *tinita@Freenode, github: perlpunk*
262 251 okurz
* Vasileios Anastasiadis (Bill) (+dedicated work areas)
263 251 okurz
* Ondřej Súkup (dedicated work areas)
264 1 mgriessmeier
* Jan Baier (part time, QEM-dedicated work areas)
265 293 okurz
* ~~Ivan Lausuch~~ (joining exchange program (To QA public cloud and containers) in September, duration not determined)
266 251 okurz
* ~~Xiaojing Liu (Jane) *github: Amrysliu*~~ (joining exchange program (To QE security team) in June, July, August)
267 275 okurz
268 107 cdywan
### Onboarding for new joiners
269 107 cdywan
270 107 cdywan
* Request to get added to the [tools team on GitHub](https://github.com/orgs/os-autoinst/teams/tools-team)
271 107 cdywan
* Login at [stats.openqa-monitor.qa.suse.de](https://stats.openqa-monitor.qa.suse.de/alerting/list) with LDAP credentials and ask to be given the *editor* role
272 255 okurz
* Watch this wiki page (click "Watch" button on top of this page)
273 107 cdywan
* Subscribe to [osd-admins@suse.de](http://mailman.suse.de/mailman/listinfo/osd-admins), [openqa@suse.de](http://mailman.suse.de/mailman/listinfo/openqa) and [opensuse-factory@opensuse.org](https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org)
274 270 okurz
* Join #suse-qe-tools:opensuse.org (matrix) and [qa-tools on Rocket](https://chat.suse.de/channel/qa-tools)
275 234 cdywan
* Request to join [devel:openQA on OBS](https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/devel:openQA) and check that you have both `Request created` and `New comment for request created` enabled for `Maintainer of the target` in your [OBS notification settings](https://build.opensuse.org/my/subscriptions) (staging bot writes reminder comments on open reviews)
276 258 okurz
* Ready an IRC bouncer for `#opensuse-factory` on *libera.chat* (and potentially *Freenode*), see "Common tasks for team members - Monitor" above
277 107 cdywan
* Request admin access on [osd](http://openqa.suse.de/) and [o3](http://openqa.opensuse.org/)
278 262 cdywan
* Request to get added to the [QA project in Progress](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/qa/settings/members) and *enable notifications for the openQA project* in [your account settings](https://progress.opensuse.org/my/account)
279 200 cdywan
* Request to get added to the [openqa team in GitLab](https://gitlab.suse.de/groups/openqa/-/group_members)
280 1 mgriessmeier
* Add your ssh key to gitlab.suse.de/openqa/salt-pillars-openqa with a merge request
281 278 jbaier_cz
* Add your ssh key to gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/qamops/-/blob/master/ansible/books/vars/main.yml with a merge request
282 162 okurz
* Ask an existing admin, e.g. other members of the team, to add your username and ssh key to o3
283 183 okurz
* Ensure you are subscribed to all projects referenced in https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/qa/wiki#Common-tasks-for-team-members
284 253 tinita
* ~~Ensure you have access to https://gitlab.suse.de/OPS-Service/monitoring (create EngInfra ticket otherwise) and add yourself in https://gitlab.suse.de/OPS-Service/monitoring/-/tree/master/icinga/shared/contacts to receive monitoring information~~ EngInfra does not grant access to additional people currently. That might change again in the future.
285 238 cdywan
* Ask for access to the team calendar if needed (on demand, via invitation)
286 107 cdywan
287 45 okurz
### Alert handling
288 45 okurz
289 45 okurz
#### Best practices
290 45 okurz
291 45 okurz
* "if it hurts, do it more often": https://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/FrequencyReducesDifficulty.html
292 45 okurz
* Reduce [Mean-time-to-Detect (MTTD)](https://searchitoperations.techtarget.com/definition/mean-time-to-detect-MTTD) and [Mean-time-to-Recovery](https://raygun.com/blog/what-is-mttr/)
293 45 okurz
294 45 okurz
#### Process
295 45 okurz
296 294 okurz
* React on any alert or report of an outage
297 294 okurz
* If users report outages of components of our infrastructure
298 294 okurz
  * Consider forming a task force and work together
299 294 okurz
  * Inform the affected users about the impact, mitigation/workarounds and ETA for resolution
300 294 okurz
* For each failing alert, e.g. grafana
301 109 okurz
 * Create a ticket for the issue (with a tag "alert"; create ticket unless the alert is trivial to resolve and needs no improvement; even create a ticket if alerts turn to "ok" to prevent these issues in the future and to improve the alter)
302 45 okurz
 * Link the corresponding grafana panel in the ticket
303 45 okurz
 * Respond to the notification email with a link to the ticket
304 1 mgriessmeier
 * Optional: Inform in chat
305 51 okurz
 * Optional: Add "annotation" in corresponding grafana panel with a link to the corresponding ticket 
306 46 okurz
 * Pause the alert if you think further alerting the team does not help (e.g. you can work on fixing the problem, alert is non-critical but problem can not be fixed within minutes)
307 45 okurz
* If you consider an alert non-actionable then change it accordingly
308 45 okurz
* If you do not know how to handle an alert ask the team for help
309 45 okurz
* After resolving the issue add explanation in ticket, unpause alert and verify it going to "ok" again, resolve ticket
310 45 okurz
311 45 okurz
#### References
312 45 okurz
313 45 okurz
* https://nl.devoteam.com/en/blog-post/monitoring-reduce-mean-time-recovery-mttr/
314 45 okurz
315 297 tinita
#### Gitlab Pipeline Notifications
316 297 tinita
317 297 tinita
Currently, the following projects are configured to write an email to osd-admins@suse.de if a pipeline fails:
318 297 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/osd-deployment
319 297 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/openqa-review
320 297 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/salt-states-openqa
321 297 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/monitor-o3
322 298 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/salt-pillars-openqa
323 298 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/auto-review/
324 298 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/openqa/grafana-webhook-actions
325 298 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/openQABot
326 298 tinita
* https://gitlab.suse.de/qa-maintenance/bot-ng
327 297 tinita
328 297 tinita
The configuration can be found by going to:
329 297 tinita
* Settings
330 297 tinita
* -> Integrations
331 297 tinita
* -> Pipeline Status Emails (Enable plugin if not yet)
332 297 tinita
333 297 tinita
It seems there is no way for subscribing to certain pipelines as a user.
334 297 tinita
335 223 okurz
### Things to try
336 223 okurz
* Everybody can be "Product Owner" or "Scrum Master" or "Admin" or "Developer" for some time to get the different perspective
337 224 okurz
* From time to time ask stakeholders for their list of priorities regarding our tasks
338 223 okurz
339 99 okurz
### Extra-ordinary "hack-week" 2020-W51
340 99 okurz
341 99 okurz
SUSE QE Tools plans to have an internal "hack-week": Condition: We close 30 tickets from our backlog within the time frame 2020-12-03 until 2020-12-11 start of weekly meeting. No cheating! :) See [this query](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&sort=priority%3Adesc%2Cid%3Adesc&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=c&f%5B%5D=fixed_version_id&op%5Bfixed_version_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bfixed_version_id%5D%5B%5D=418&f%5B%5D=closed_on&op%5Bclosed_on%5D=%3E%3C&v%5Bclosed_on%5D%5B%5D=2020-12-03&v%5Bclosed_on%5D%5B%5D=2020-12-11&f%5B%5D=&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=project&c%5B%5D=status&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=relations&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=category&c%5B%5D=cf_16&group_by=status&t%5B%5D=). During week 2020-W51 everyone is allowed to work on any hack-week project, it should just have a reasonable, "explainable" connection to our normal work. okurz volunteers to take over ops-duty for the week.
342 99 okurz
343 105 okurz
Result during meeting 2020-12-11: We missed the goal (by a slight amount) but we are motivated to try again in the next year :) Everybody, put some easy tickets aside for the next time!
344 105 okurz
345 115 okurz
### Extra-ordinary "hack-week" 2021-W8
346 115 okurz
347 115 okurz
Similar as our attempt for 2020-W51 with same rules, except condition: We close 30 tickets from our backlog within the time frame 2021-02-05 until 2021-02-19 start of weekly meeting. No cheating! See [this query](https://progress.opensuse.org/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&sort=priority%3Adesc%2Cid%3Adesc&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=c&f%5B%5D=fixed_version_id&op%5Bfixed_version_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bfixed_version_id%5D%5B%5D=418&f%5B%5D=closed_on&op%5Bclosed_on%5D=%3E%3C&v%5Bclosed_on%5D%5B%5D=2021-02-05&v%5Bclosed_on%5D%5B%5D=2021-02-19&f%5B%5D=&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=project&c%5B%5D=status&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=relations&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=category&c%5B%5D=cf_16&group_by=status&t%5B%5D=).
348 115 okurz
349 129 okurz
Result during meeting 2021-02-19: We missed the goal (25/30 tickets resolved) but again we are open to try again, maybe after next SUSE hack week.
350 129 okurz
351 31 okurz
### Historical
352 31 okurz
353 64 okurz
Previously the former QA tools team used target versions "Ready" (to be planned into individual milestone periods or sprints), "Current Sprint" and "Done". However the team never really did use proper time-limited sprints so the distinction was rather vague. After having tickets "Resolved" after some time the PO or someone else would also update the target version to "Done" to signal that the result has been reviewed. This was causing a lot of ticket update noise for not much value considering that the [Definition-of-Done](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/openqav3/wiki/#ticket-workflow) when properly followed already has rather strict requirements on when something can be considered really "Resolved" hence the team eventually decided to not use the "Done" target version anymore. Since about 2019-05 (and since okurz is doing more backlog management) the team uses priorities more as well as the status "Workable" together with an explicit team member list for "What the team is working on" to better visualize what is making team members busy regardless of what was "officially" planned to be part of the team's work. So we closed the target version. On 2020-07-03 okurz subsequently closed "Current Sprint" as also this one was in most cases equivalent to just picking an assignee for a ticket or setting to "In Progress". We can just distinguish between "(no version)" meaning untriaged, "Ready" meaning tools team should consider picking up these issues and "future" meaning that there is no plan for this to be picked up. Everything else is defined by status and priority.
354 62 okurz
In 2020-10-27 we discussed together to find out the history of the team. We clarified that the team started out as a not well defined "Dev+Ops" team. "team responsibilities" have been mainly unchanged since at least beginning of 2019. We agreed that learning from users and production about our "Dev" contributions is good, so this part of "Ops" is responsibility of everyone.
355 27 okurz
356 128 okurz
Also see #73060 for more details about how the responsibilities were setup.
357 128 okurz
358 104 okurz
## Change announcements
359 104 okurz
360 258 okurz
For new, cool features or disruptive changes consider providing according notifications to our common userbase as well as potential future users, for example create post on opensuse-factory@opensuse.org , link to post on openqa@suse.de , invite for workshop, post on one.suse.com, #opensuse-factory (IRC) (irc://irc.libera.chat/opensuse-factory), [#testing (RC)](https://chat.suse.de/testing)
361 104 okurz
362 69 tjyrinki_suse
# QE Core and QE Yast - Team descriptions
363 1 mgriessmeier
364 70 tjyrinki_suse
(this chapter has seen changes in 2020-11 regarding QSF -> QE Core / QE Yast change)
365 68 tjyrinki_suse
366 70 tjyrinki_suse
**QE Core** (formerly QSF, QA SLE Functional) and **QE Yast** are squads focusing on Quality Engineering of the core and yast functionality of the SUSE SLE products. The squad is comprised of members of QE Integration - [SUSE QA SLE Nbg](https://wiki.suse.net/index.php/SUSE-Quality_Assurance/Organization/Members_and_Responsibilities#QA_SLE_NBG_Team), including [SUSE QA SLE Prg](https://wiki.suse.net/index.php/SUSE-Quality_Assurance/Organization/Members_and_Responsibilities#QA_SLE_PRG_Team) - and QE Maintenance people (formerly "QAM"). The [SLE Departement](https://wiki.suse.net/index.php/SUSE-Quality_Assurance/SLE_Department#QSF_.28QA_SLE_Functional.29) page describes our QA responsibilities. We focus on our automatic tests running in [openQA](https://openqa.suse.de) under the job groups "Functional" as well as "Autoyast" for the respective products, for example [SLE 15 / Functional](https://openqa.suse.de/group_overview/110) and [SLE 15 / Autoyast](https://openqa.suse.de/group_overview/129). We back our automatic tests with exploratory manual tests, especially for the product milestone builds. Additionally we care about corresponding openSUSE openQA tests (see as well https://openqa.opensuse.org).
367 7 szarate
368 237 tjyrinki_suse
* More recent scope of QE Core's testing (under work, hopefully to be replicated here later) https://confluence.suse.com/display/qasle/Tests+Maintained+by+QE+Core
369 1 mgriessmeier
* long-term roadmap: http://s.qa.suse.de/qa-long-term
370 1 mgriessmeier
* overview of current openQA SLE12SP5 tests with progress ticket references: https://openqa.suse.de/tests/overview?distri=sle&version=12-SP5&groupid=139&groupid=142
371 1 mgriessmeier
* fate tickets for SLE12SP5 feature testing: based on http://s.qa.suse.de/qa_sle_functional_feature_tests_sle12sp5 new report based on all tickets with milestone before SLE12SP5 GM, http://s.qa.suse.de/qa_sle_functional_feature_tests_sle15sp1 for SLE15SP1
372 1 mgriessmeier
* only "blocker" or "shipstopper" bugs on "interesting products" for SLE15 http://s.qa.suse.de/qa_sle_functional_bug_query_sle15_2, http://s.qa/qa_sle_bugs_sle12_2 for SLE12
373 3 szarate
* Better organization of planned work can be seen at the [SUSE QA](https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/suseqa) project (which is not public).
374 1 mgriessmeier
375 27 okurz
## Test plan
376 1 mgriessmeier
377 1 mgriessmeier
When looking for coverage of certain components or use cases keep the [openQA glossary](http://open.qa/docs/#concept) in mind. It is important to understand that "tests in openQA" could be a scenario, for example a "textmode installation run", a combined multi-machine scenario, for example "a remote ssh based installation using X-forwarding", or a test module, for example "vim", which checks if the vim editor is correctly installed, provides correct rendering and basic functionality. You are welcome to contact any member of the team to ask for more clarification about this.
378 1 mgriessmeier
379 19 okurz
In detail the following areas are tested as part of "SLE functional":
380 19 okurz
381 1 mgriessmeier
* different hardware setups (UEFI, acpi)
382 1 mgriessmeier
* support for localization
383 1 mgriessmeier
* openSUSE: virtualization - some "virtualization" tests are active on o3 with reduced set compared to SLE coverage (on behalf of QA SLE virtualization due to team capacity constraints, clarified in QA SLE coordination meeting 2018-03-28)
384 1 mgriessmeier
* openSUSE: migration - comparable to "virtualization", a reduced set compared to SLE coverage is active on o3 (on behalf of QA SLE migration due to team capacity constraints, clarified in QA SLE coordination meeting 2018-04)
385 26 riafarov
386 26 riafarov
387 69 tjyrinki_suse
### QE Yast
388 18 okurz
389 69 tjyrinki_suse
Squad focuses on testing YaST components, including installer and snapper.
390 1 mgriessmeier
391 18 okurz
Detailed test plan for SLES can be found here: [SLES_Integration_Level_Testplan.md](https://gitlab.suse.de/qsf-y/qa-sle-functional-y/blob/master/SLES_Integration_Level_Testplan.md)
392 1 mgriessmeier
393 1 mgriessmeier
* Latest report based on openQA test results SLE12: http://s.qa.suse.de/test-status-sle12-yast , SLE15: http://s.qa.suse.de/test-status-sle15-yast
394 2 mgriessmeier
395 69 tjyrinki_suse
### QE Core
396 1 mgriessmeier
397 1 mgriessmeier
"Testing is the future, and the future starts with you"
398 1 mgriessmeier
399 264 szarate
* Current definitions can be found at https://confluence.suse.com/display/qasle/Tests+Maintained+by+QE+Core, 
400 264 szarate
401 264 szarate
Note: Link mentioned above is WIP; QE-Core's work has impact on the openSUSE community as well, to keep the community in sync, either https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/qa/wiki#QE-Core or a better place has to be used to share what is the scope of work, always keeping to a unique source of truth, that is available to the community, keeping SLE's specific information, available to SUSE employees only. 
402 6 okurz
403 6 okurz
* Latest report based on openQA test results SLE12: http://s.qa.suse.de/test-status-sle12-functional , SLE15: http://s.qa.suse.de/test-status-sle15-functional
404 1 mgriessmeier
405 221 okurz
## In new organization also covered by QE Core and others
406 1 mgriessmeier
407 1 mgriessmeier
* quarterly updated media: former QA Maintenance (QAM) is now part of the various QE squads. However, QU media does happen together with Maintenance Coordination that is not part of these squads.
408 1 mgriessmeier
409 27 okurz
## What we do
410 1 mgriessmeier
411 1 mgriessmeier
We collected opinions, personal experiences and preferences starting with the following four topics: What are fun-tasks ("new tests", "collaborate", "do it right"), what parts are annoying ("old & sporadic issues"), what do we think is expected from qsf-u ("be quick", "keep stuff running", "assess quality") and what we should definitely keep doing to prevent stakeholders becoming disappointed ("build validation", "communication & support").
412 12 okurz
413 27 okurz
### How we work on our backlog
414 12 okurz
415 12 okurz
* no "due date"
416 12 okurz
* we pick up tickets that have not been previously discussed
417 1 mgriessmeier
* more flexible choice
418 14 okurz
* WIP-limits:
419 14 okurz
 * global limit of 10 tickets "In Progress"
420 14 okurz
421 14 okurz
* target numbers or "guideline", "should be", in priorities:
422 12 okurz
 1. New, untriaged: 0
423 12 okurz
 2. Workable: 40
424 69 tjyrinki_suse
 3. New, assigned to [qe-core] or [qe-yast]: ideally less than 200 (should not stop you from triaging)
425 1 mgriessmeier
426 1 mgriessmeier
* SLAs for priority tickets - how to ensure to work on tickets which are more urgent?
427 1 mgriessmeier
 * "taken": <1d: immediate -> looking daily
428 1 mgriessmeier
 * 2-3d: urgent
429 12 okurz
 * first goal is "urgency removal": <1d: immediate, 1w: urgent
430 1 mgriessmeier
431 12 okurz
* our current "cycle time" is 1h - 1y (maximum, with interruptions)
432 1 mgriessmeier
433 1 mgriessmeier
* everybody should set priority + milestone in obvious cases, e.g. new reproducible test failures in multiple critical scenarios, in general case the PO decides
434 1 mgriessmeier
435 27 okurz
### How we like to choose our battles
436 1 mgriessmeier
437 1 mgriessmeier
We self-assessed our tasks on a scale from "administrative" to "creative" and found in the following descending order: daily test review (very "administrative"), ticket triaging, milestone validation, code review, create needles, infrastructure issues, fix and cleanup tests, find bugs while fixing failing tests, find bugs while designing new tests, new automated tests (very "creative"). Then we found we appreciate if our work has a fair share of both sides. Probably a good ratio is 60% creative plus 40% administrative tasks. Both types have their advantages and we should try to keep the healthy balance.
438 1 mgriessmeier
439 1 mgriessmeier
440 27 okurz
### What "product(s)" do we (really) *care* about?
441 1 mgriessmeier
442 1 mgriessmeier
Brainstorming results:
443 1 mgriessmeier
444 1 mgriessmeier
* openSUSE Krypton -> good example of something that we only remotely care about or not at all even though we see the connection point, e.g. test plasma changes early before they reach TW or Leap as operating systems we rely on or SLE+packagehub which SUSE does not receive direct revenue from but indirect benefit. Should be "community only", that includes members from QSF though
445 1 mgriessmeier
* openQA -> (like OBS), helps to provide ROI for SUSE
446 1 mgriessmeier
* SLE(S) (in development versions)
447 1 mgriessmeier
* Tumbleweed
448 1 mgriessmeier
* Leap, because we use it
449 1 mgriessmeier
* SLES HA
450 1 mgriessmeier
* SLE migration
451 1 mgriessmeier
* os-autoinst-distri-opensuse+backend+needles
452 1 mgriessmeier
453 1 mgriessmeier
From this list strictly no "product" gives us direct revenue however most likely SLE(S) (as well as SLES HA and SLE migration) are good examples of direct connection to revenue (based on SLE subscriptions). Conducting a poll in the team has revealed that 3 persons see "SLE(S)" as our main product and 3 see "os-autoinst-distri-opensuse+backend+needles" as the main product. We mainly agreed that however we can not *own* a product like "SLE" because that product is mainly not under our control.
454 1 mgriessmeier
455 1 mgriessmeier
Visualizing "cost of testing" vs. "risk of business impact" showed that both metrics have an inverse dependency, e.g. on a range from "upstream source code" over "package self-tests", "openSUSE Factory staging", "Tumbleweed", "SLE" we consider SLE to have the highest business risk attached and therefore defines our priority however testing at upstream source level is considered most effective to prevent higher cost of bugs or issues. Our conclusion is that we must ensure that the high-risk SLE base has its quality assured while supporting a quality assurance process as early as possible in the development process. package self-tests as well as the openQA staging tests are seen as a useful approach in that direction as well as "domain specfic specialist QA engineers" working closely together with according in-house development parties.
456 1 mgriessmeier
457 27 okurz
## Documentation
458 1 mgriessmeier
459 1 mgriessmeier
This documentation should only be interesting for the team QA SLE functional. If you find that some of the following topics are interesting for other people, please extract those topics to another wiki section.
460 1 mgriessmeier
461 1 mgriessmeier
### QA SLE functional Dashboards
462 1 mgriessmeier
463 1 mgriessmeier
In room 3.2.15 from Nuremberg office are two dedicated laptops each with a monitor attached showing a selected overview of openQA test resuls with important builds from SLE and openSUSE.
464 4 szarate
Such laptops are configured with a root account with the default password for production machines. First point of contact: [slindomansilla.suse.com](mailto:slindomansilla@suse.com), (okurz@suse.de)[mailto:okurz@suse.de]
465 1 mgriessmeier
466 1 mgriessmeier
* ''dashboard-osd-3215.suse.de'': Showing current view of openqa.suse.de filtered for some job group results, e.g. "Functional"
467 1 mgriessmeier
* ''dashboard-o3-3215.suse.de'': Showing current view of openqa.opensuse.org filtered for some job group results which we took responsibility to review and are mostly interested in
468 1 mgriessmeier
469 24 dheidler
### dashboard-osd-3215
470 1 mgriessmeier
471 1 mgriessmeier
* OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed
472 1 mgriessmeier
* Services: ssh, mosh, vnc, x2x
473 1 mgriessmeier
* Users:
474 1 mgriessmeier
** root
475 1 mgriessmeier
** dashboard
476 1 mgriessmeier
* VNC: `vncviewer dashboard-osd-3215`
477 1 mgriessmeier
* X2X: `ssh -XC dashboard@dashboard-osd-3215 x2x -west -to :0.0`
478 1 mgriessmeier
** (attaches the dashboard monitor as an extra display to the left of your screens. Then move the mouse over and the attached X11 server will capture mouse and keyboard)
479 1 mgriessmeier
480 1 mgriessmeier
#### Content of /home/dashboard/.xinitrc
481 1 mgriessmeier
482 3 szarate
```
483 1 mgriessmeier
#
484 1 mgriessmeier
# Source common code shared between the
485 1 mgriessmeier
# X session and X init scripts
486 1 mgriessmeier
#
487 1 mgriessmeier
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.common
488 1 mgriessmeier
489 1 mgriessmeier
xset -dpms
490 1 mgriessmeier
xset s off
491 1 mgriessmeier
xset s noblank
492 1 mgriessmeier
[...]
493 1 mgriessmeier
#
494 1 mgriessmeier
# Add your own lines here...
495 1 mgriessmeier
#
496 1 mgriessmeier
$HOME/bin/osd_dashboard &
497 3 szarate
```
498 1 mgriessmeier
499 1 mgriessmeier
#### Content of /home/dashboard/bin/osd_dashboard
500 1 mgriessmeier
501 3 szarate
```
502 1 mgriessmeier
#!/bin/bash
503 1 mgriessmeier
504 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 unclutter &
505 1 mgriessmeier
506 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset -dpms
507 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset s off
508 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset s noblank
509 1 mgriessmeier
510 1 mgriessmeier
url="${url:-"https://openqa.suse.de/?group=SLE+15+%2F+%28Functional%7CAutoyast%29&default_expanded=1&limit_builds=3&time_limit_days=14&show_tags=1&fullscreen=1#"}"
511 20 dheidler
DISPLAY=:0 chromium --kiosk "$url"
512 3 szarate
```
513 1 mgriessmeier
514 1 mgriessmeier
#### Cron job:
515 1 mgriessmeier
516 3 szarate
```
517 1 mgriessmeier
Min     H       DoM     Mo      DoW     Command
518 23 dheidler
*	*	*	*	*	/home/dashboard/bin/reload_chromium
519 3 szarate
```
520 1 mgriessmeier
521 21 dheidler
#### Content of /home/dashboard/bin/reload_chromium
522 1 mgriessmeier
523 3 szarate
```
524 1 mgriessmeier
#!/bin/bash
525 1 mgriessmeier
526 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset -dpms
527 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset s off
528 1 mgriessmeier
DISPLAY=:0 xset s noblank
529 1 mgriessmeier
530 22 dheidler
DISPLAY=:0 xdotool windowactivate $(DISPLAY=:0 xdotool search --class Chromium)
531 21 dheidler
DISPLAY=:0 xdotool key F5
532 21 dheidler
DISPLAY=:0 xdotool windowactivate $(DISPLAY=:0 xdotool getactivewindow)
533 3 szarate
```
534 1 mgriessmeier
535 1 mgriessmeier
#### Issues:
536 1 mgriessmeier
537 1 mgriessmeier
* ''When the screen shows a different part of the web page''
538 1 mgriessmeier
** a simple mouse scroll through vnc or x2x may suffice.
539 1 mgriessmeier
* ''When the builds displayed are freeze without showing a new build, it usually means that midori, the browser displaying the info on the screen, crashed.''
540 1 mgriessmeier
** you can try to restart midori this way:
541 1 mgriessmeier
*** ps aux | grep midori
542 1 mgriessmeier
*** kill $pid
543 1 mgriessmeier
*** /home/dashboard/bin/osd_dashboard
544 1 mgriessmeier
** If this also doesn't work, restart the machine.
545 25 dheidler
546 25 dheidler
547 25 dheidler
### dashboard-o3
548 25 dheidler
549 25 dheidler
* Raspberry Pi 3B+
550 25 dheidler
* IP: `10.160.65.207`
551 25 dheidler
552 25 dheidler
#### Content of /home/tux/.xinitrc
553 25 dheidler
```
554 25 dheidler
#!/bin/bash
555 25 dheidler
556 25 dheidler
unclutter &
557 25 dheidler
openbox &
558 25 dheidler
xset s off
559 25 dheidler
xset -dpms
560 25 dheidler
sleep 5
561 25 dheidler
url="https://openqa.opensuse.org?group=openSUSE Tumbleweed\$|openSUSE Leap [0-9]{2}.?[0-9]*\$|openSUSE Leap.\*JeOS\$|openSUSE Krypton|openQA|GNOME Next&limit_builds=2&time_limit_days=14&&show_tags=1&fullscreen=1#build-results"
562 25 dheidler
chromium --kiosk "$url" &
563 25 dheidler
564 25 dheidler
while sleep 300 ; do
565 25 dheidler
        xdotool windowactivate $(xdotool search --class Chromium)
566 25 dheidler
        xdotool key F5
567 25 dheidler
        xdotool windowactivate $(xdotool getactivewindow)
568 25 dheidler
done
569 25 dheidler
```
570 25 dheidler
571 25 dheidler
#### Content of /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-suse-defaults.conf
572 25 dheidler
```
573 25 dheidler
[Seat:*]
574 25 dheidler
pam-service = lightdm
575 25 dheidler
pam-autologin-service = lightdm-autologin
576 25 dheidler
pam-greeter-service = lightdm-greeter
577 25 dheidler
xserver-command=/usr/bin/X
578 25 dheidler
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
579 25 dheidler
greeter-setup-script=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup
580 25 dheidler
session-setup-script=/etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup
581 25 dheidler
session-cleanup-script=/etc/X11/xdm/Xreset
582 25 dheidler
autologin-user=tux
583 25 dheidler
autologin-timeout=0
584 25 dheidler
```