Project

General

Profile

tickets #68887

Forum and other openSUSE Infrastructure page loading slow.

Added by malcolmlewis 3 months ago. Updated 2 months ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
Servers hosted in NBG
Start date:
2020-07-12
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

Hi Admin(s)
For the last 24 hours or so Forum pages are taking anywhere from 15 to
20 seconds to load. This appears to be related to graphics images
(png,gif etc) from my network captures in Firefox.

I spoke on IRC today with Per Jessen who also confirmed the same issue.

I checked on other platforms within the openSUSE infrastructure and see
similar with the like of progress.o.o and en.o.o but not with the likes
of bugzilla.o.o.

Can this be further investigated by admins with infrastructure access
to find where the bottleneck is.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20200708 | GNOME Shell 3.36.3 | 5.7.7-1-default
Intel DQ77MK MB | Xeon E3-1245 V2 X8 @ 3.40 GHz | Intel/Nvidia
up 0:06, 2 users, load average: 0.71, 0.72, 0.37

History

#1 Updated by pjessen 3 months ago

  • Private changed from Yes to No

I can confirm - loading https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Project just now took 11-12seconds.

#2 Updated by pjessen 3 months ago

After clearing browser cache, and changing the useragent to something unique (to be able to track it), I reloaded https://forums.opensuse.org/ :

08:40:21 the first GET
08:40:47 the last GET

In the access_log, I was surprised to see that of 48 requests, only the first one had my IP-address listed, the rest had nothing.

#3 Updated by lrupp 2 months ago

  • Category set to Forum

#4 Updated by pjessen 2 months ago

  • Status changed from New to Resolved

Problem was resolved, Christian fixed it on anna/elsa. Something was looping.

#5 Updated by cboltz 2 months ago

  • Category changed from Forum to Servers hosted in NBG

For completeness - the problem was that pdns-recursor on elsa was not running, which resulted in a timeout in internal DNS queries before the working DNS server on anna was tried.

I'm not sure what exactly needs the DNS lookups, but since several services were affected, I'd guess that either haproxy or the login proxy did them. (IIRC I only tested services living behind the login proxy - I should also have tested static.o.o ;-)

Starting pdns-recursor on elsa fixed the problem, and I've also systemctl enabled it.

Also available in: Atom PDF