Project

General

Profile

2018-04-03-heroes-meeting.txt

IRC meeting log - cboltz, 2018-04-03 21:33

 
1
2018-04-03 #opensuse-admin Heroes meeting
2

    
3
[19:59:13] * tampakrap will brb in 5 mins
4
[20:01:46] <cboltz> Hi everybody!
5
[20:01:56] <Ada_Lovelace> Hi
6
[20:02:38] <cboltz> while waiting for tampakrap, let's start the Heroes meeting with a topic where we don't necessarily need him ;-)
7
[20:02:42] <cboltz> Questions and answers from the community
8
[20:03:06] <cboltz> does someone have a question? ;-)
9
[20:03:37] <tampakrap> hi people
10
[20:03:43] <tampakrap> thomic is on vacation
11
[20:03:48] <tampakrap> pjessen: around?
12
[20:04:25] <pjessen> yup
13
[20:04:33] <pjessen> i'm here
14
[20:04:39] <tampakrap> cool
15
[20:05:20] <tampakrap> cboltz: link from the ticket please?
16
[20:05:26] <cboltz> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/34135
17
[20:05:52] <tampakrap> so one question we have from the community is the question from Ana regarding planet
18
[20:06:30] <tampakrap> https://github.com/openSUSE/planet.opensuse.org/issues
19
[20:06:47] <tampakrap> and also this PR https://github.com/openSUSE/planet.opensuse.org/pull/67
20
[20:07:48] <cboltz> that's all my "fault" ;-)
21
[20:07:55] <tampakrap> and yet another issue I saw is that rawdog is still python2, we're going to have issue when we'll want to update the machine to leap15
22
[20:07:57] <cboltz> I only asked her why her blog isn't on planet, and that's the result ;_)
23
[20:08:37] <tampakrap> nice :)
24
[20:09:12] <DimStar> tampakrap: yes, still/again here
25
[20:09:26] <tampakrap> DimStar: pm to not interrupt the meeting
26
[20:09:31] <cboltz> it seems Leap 15 still contains python 2, so I'd hope that rawdog will continue to work
27
[20:10:42] <tampakrap> it will contain full python2?
28
[20:10:49] <tampakrap> then we're fine
29
[20:10:52] <tampakrap> at least in theory
30
[20:11:06] <cboltz> I only checked   osc ls openSUSE:Leap:15.0 python   ;-)
31
[20:11:48] <cboltz> but if the core is there, I'd expect that all the python2-* packages will also be there
32
[20:12:28] <tampakrap> okay
33
[20:12:42] <tampakrap> https://github.com/openSUSE/planet.opensuse.org/issues/69 this one is interesting where lcp created already a new design
34
[20:13:24] <tampakrap> so from a quick look, you replied to the local setup question (waiting for feedback)
35
[20:13:25] <Ada_Lovelace> He is creating designs for all systems.
36
[20:13:44] <Ada_Lovelace> cboltz has a easter egg in our wiki with that. ;)
37
[20:13:47] <tampakrap> the question about removing inactive blogs is pending replies to your mail to the community
38
[20:13:57] <tampakrap> and for the design related questions I don't have an opinion
39
[20:14:12] <tampakrap> so it should be fine from our side for now, correct?
40
[20:14:12] <cboltz> that easter egg is from Guo Yunhe ;-)
41
[20:14:37] <Ada_Lovelace> Sorry
42
[20:14:52] <cboltz> no problem ;-)
43
[20:15:18] <lcp> *I wish there was no python2 there :/*
44
[20:15:25] <lcp> It's such a pain
45
[20:16:09] <cboltz> I'll be happy if we don't need it (and everythong works with py3)
46
[20:16:15] <tampakrap> lcp: I'm not aware of a python3 planet software though
47
[20:16:32] <cboltz> but if rawdog still needs py2, I prefer the pain over breaking planet.o.o ;-)
48
[20:16:38] <lcp> I'm not aware of any other good planet software in facr
49
[20:16:42] <lcp> fact*
50
[20:16:45] <lcp> I looked around :/
51
[20:16:52] <tampakrap> https://github.com/rubys/venus this is what I was using in gentoo, and I see it is still python2 as well
52
[20:17:09] <lcp> and there are alts with php and stuff
53
[20:17:15] <lcp> no :/
54
[20:17:36] <lcp> as much as I hate python 2, I prefer it over php
55
[20:17:53] <tampakrap> yep so let's keep it I'd say
56
[20:18:06] <tampakrap> for the design I personally have no opinion at all
57
[20:18:20] <pjessen> ditto
58
[20:18:22] <lcp> oh come on
59
[20:18:25] <lcp> be harsh
60
[20:18:42] <lcp> it's easier to develop with critisizm
61
[20:19:17] <tampakrap> ah, that I can do
62
[20:19:25] <tampakrap> do you have it uploaded somewhere?
63
[20:19:38] <lcp> not yet, it barely works :/
64
[20:19:53] <lcp> I will have it later when I get back to it
65
[20:20:01] <tampakrap> okay ping me if you want to have a planet-test.o.o instance at some point
66
[20:20:39] <cboltz> when you put it online, make sure to mention that in the ticket - if you are lucky, Ana has some time to help ;-)
67
[20:21:26] <lcp> great :D
68
[20:21:55] <tampakrap> yeah I'd say collaborate with each other already
69
[20:21:55] <cboltz> looking at the scresnshot you added to the ticket - maybe reduce the height of the header a bit?
70
[20:22:18] <cboltz> whitespace can be important, but too much whitespace can also mean "wasting" space ;-)
71
[20:24:13] <cboltz> that said - I'm looking forward to have the new design on planet :-)
72
[20:25:17] <cboltz> can/should we continue with the next topic?
73
[20:25:23] <cboltz> status reports about everything
74
[20:25:35] <cboltz> I'll start with a small one
75
[20:26:16] <cboltz> I tested our sponsors.o.o idea with nginx (redirecting to a random image/sponsor logo in a directory), and it works as expected :-)
76
[20:26:48] <cboltz> (actually I already have the salt code for it because that was easier than doing a manual setup ;-)
77
[20:26:56] <tampakrap> oh cool!
78
[20:27:04] <tampakrap> double cool for salt!
79
[20:28:14] <cboltz> I also did some very early steps for a Leap 15 JeOS image, but at the moment it fails with "unresolvable"
80
[20:28:39] <cboltz> so I'll need to spend some more time on it ;-)
81
[20:28:59] <cboltz> if someone is interested nevertheless - https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:cboltz:openSUSE:infrastructure:Images:openSUSE_Leap_15.0/jeos
82
[20:29:35] <tampakrap> I'll check it yes
83
[20:30:11] <cboltz> that's it from me ;-)
84
[20:30:16] <cboltz> who else has status reports?
85
[20:30:45] <tampakrap> nothing fascinating from my side
86
[20:30:54] <pjessen> not much from me either.
87
[20:31:16] <pjessen> mailman test setup is in place, but i have not had time to continue
88
[20:31:39] <tampakrap> pjessen: any idea about those rsync.o.o tickets?
89
[20:31:51] <pjessen> the ones about emtpy hotstuff?
90
[20:31:53] <tampakrap> haven't checked them, I just recall getting tickets again
91
[20:32:05] <tampakrap> maybe, let me check
92
[20:32:19] <pjessen> I did look at it before easter, but I got distracted
93
[20:32:33] <tampakrap> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/34030
94
[20:32:33] <pjessen> basically all hotstuff packages are 0 size.
95
[20:32:42] <tampakrap> that's different
96
[20:33:07] <pjessen> havent even seen that one
97
[20:34:36] <tampakrap> okay
98
[20:35:00] <pjessen> mirroring - I nee dhelp with figuring out an issue wrt tumbleweed
99
[20:35:20] <tampakrap> what's the issue?
100
[20:35:51] <pjessen> our own mirror (hostsuise) is distributing lots of tumblweed, but mirror.o.o says we dont'
101
[20:36:02] <pjessen> don't have it
102
[20:36:32] <pjessen> mb mirrorlist says no, but mirrorbrain still redirects to us
103
[20:36:56] <tampakrap> smells like ipv6 glitch
104
[20:37:35] <pjessen> yes, that is what my rsync log says too.  It fails, then works a minute later, when the scanner tries the ipv4 address
105
[20:38:09] <tampakrap> okay I'll try my best
106
[20:38:17] <pjessen> lets discuss it tomorrow
107
[20:38:49] <pjessen> but do send me some hints about what you think might be worth looking at.
108
[20:38:56] <tampakrap> sure
109
[20:39:49] <tampakrap> so anything else or should we move?
110
[20:39:58] <pjessen> otherwise- external monitoring - a new guest is on my TODO
111
[20:40:03] <lcp> cboltz: tall header is gonna be there only on first page I hope
112
[20:40:28] <pjessen> still on my TODO. that's all from me for now.
113
[20:41:35] <cboltz> lcp: ok, I'll check when you have something working so that I can check the whole picture ;-)
114
[20:41:50] <lcp> https://imgur.com/a/enORI
115
[20:42:09] <lcp> yeeeah, I need to start it for real :/
116
[20:44:01] <cboltz> does someone dare to close https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/34051 ? (or, better question, can someone load it without getting a gateway timeout? ;-)
117
[20:44:18] <pjessen> is that the one with 500 mails?
118
[20:44:23] <cboltz> right ;-)
119
[20:44:48] <pjessen> yeah, sorry about that. took me a little too long to figure out.
120
[20:44:54] <tampakrap> checking
121
[20:45:37] <cboltz> pjessen: no problem, such things happen ;-)
122
[20:46:00] <cboltz> actually it's somewhat entertaining, at least if you [try to] look at it a few days later ;-)
123
[20:46:00] <tampakrap> it times out
124
[20:46:35] <cboltz> hmm, maybe it's possible to close it with the mass handling on the ticket list page? let me try... ;-)
125
[20:47:29] <cboltz> looks like it worked
126
[20:47:36] <pjessen> wow
127
[20:47:43] <cboltz> we'll see how many mails this triggers *eg*
128
[20:48:09] <pjessen> both lists have the right control settings now,
129
[20:49:16] <tampakrap> delete it, don't close it please
130
[20:50:00] <lcp> maybe I should just parse output from rawdog to jekyll, my life would be so much easier :/
131
[20:50:08] <cboltz> tampakrap: too late, I already closed it ;-) - but it looks pjessen's changed settings helped
132
[20:50:19] <cboltz> at least I don't see a bounce "war" ;-)
133
[20:50:40] <pjessen> phew.
134
[20:50:42] <tampakrap> yeah the trick usually is to remove the mailing list from the watchers' list
135
[20:51:31] <cboltz> ... which won't work if loading the ticket times out ;-)
136
[20:51:44] <tampakrap> yep
137
[20:53:14] <tampakrap> so anythin else or we can move?
138
[20:53:26] <pjessen> lets move on
139
[20:53:37] <cboltz> we got some tickets about spam on paste.o.o
140
[20:54:09] <tampakrap> yes, I mailed michal about this, and I escalated the issue to sysrich as well
141
[20:54:09] <cboltz> who has access to it to delete that spam?
142
[20:54:15] <tampakrap> no reply so far
143
[20:54:24] <tampakrap> only michal has access, it is hosted in his private server
144
[20:55:24] <cboltz> we should probably change that - AFAIK michal is very busy
145
[20:55:47] <cboltz> so moving it to a VM where multiple people have access would be helpful ;-)
146
[20:56:01] <pjessen> might be good with an improved auth mechanism.  spammers will continue.
147
[20:56:22] <tampakrap> that's a long term solution
148
[20:56:25] <cboltz> right, but one step after the other ;-)
149
[20:56:29] <tampakrap> the short term solutions that we proposed are:
150
[20:56:39] <tampakrap> 1) remove the sign-up button from top right corner
151
[20:56:57] <tampakrap> 2) give me admin access
152
[20:57:15] <tampakrap> then we can discuss about moving the service or even replacing the backend with something better
153
[20:57:26] <tampakrap> this one is a custom made from michal
154
[20:58:12] <cboltz> according to the footer, it's based on Stikked, so at least not completely custom made
155
[20:58:32] <cboltz> (I don't know how much is upstream and how much customized)
156
[20:58:34] <tampakrap> ah didn't notice that
157
[20:58:56] <tampakrap> thorsten found another one
158
[20:59:04] <tampakrap> I'll try to find it, sec
159
[20:59:14] <lcp> https://github.com/openSUSE/paste latest update to backend was 10 years ago from what I recall
160
[20:59:40] <lcp> I looked into it few months back
161
[21:00:04] <tampakrap> I think it was this one https://github.com/PrivateBin/PrivateBin
162
[21:01:01] <cboltz> lcp: wow, sounds like up to date code :-/  (to be fair, the latest commit was 6 years ago, but that's not really better)
163
[21:01:04] <lcp> any changes to it will have to mean changing susepaste and susepaste-screenshot packages in openSUSE :P
164
[21:02:12] <cboltz> that, and we'll also have to ensure that existing content will still be available under the known URLs
165
[21:03:17] <pjessen> doesnt the content expire fairly quickly?
166
[21:03:39] <cboltz> depends on what you choose when creating a paste
167
[21:03:47] <cboltz> the current default is a week
168
[21:03:51] <lcp> https://susepaste.org/lists
169
[21:04:01] <lcp> here are all the current pastes
170
[21:04:04] <cboltz> but IIRC the old default (like two years ago) was to keep forever
171
[21:04:13] <lcp> well "all" some might be private
172
[21:05:16] <cboltz> a quick search shows https://github.com/claudehohl/Stikked so if we are lucky, we can "just" upgrade to the latest version
173
[21:05:27] <cboltz> (yes, I know why I put quotes around "just" ;-)
174
[21:07:08] <lcp> It really should get new looks :P
175
[21:08:11] <cboltz> the first step is to get admin access, then we can start with moving and updating it, and also give it a new look
176
[21:08:54] <lcp> *I have planet to take care of anyway*
177
[21:09:13] <cboltz> ;-)
178
[21:09:49] <cboltz> should we continue with the next topic?
179
[21:09:53] <cboltz> oSC 18
180
[21:10:04] <tampakrap> yes who is visiting me?
181
[21:10:26] <cboltz> at home, or at oSC? ;-)
182
[21:10:46] <tampakrap> yes
183
[21:11:30] * cboltz assumes the "yes" is the answer for "at home", and hopes tampakrap will have some cake ready
184
[21:11:45] <pjessen> cake?
185
[21:11:58] <tampakrap> and cookies
186
[21:12:36] <pjessen> I m not yet certain I'll attend, but this is beginning to sound tempting.
187
[21:12:39] <tampakrap> my girlfriend will make them, I don't want ot poison you
188
[21:13:05] <tampakrap> I have submitte my presentation about the salt structure and testing
189
[21:13:24] <tampakrap> so nobody will come? you'll leave me all alone there?
190
[21:13:55] <cboltz> do you seriously think I'll miss oSC? ;-)
191
[21:14:31] <tampakrap> perfect
192
[21:14:38] <tampakrap> anybody else?
193
[21:14:39] <cboltz> I know you'll need someone to ask evil questions in your talk, and I might be that one ;-)
194
[21:14:51] <tampakrap> cboltz: any presentation?
195
[21:15:21] <cboltz> I didn't have a good idea for a Heroes-related presentation yet
196
[21:15:50] <cboltz> I could come up with some funny stories about the wiki move, but IMHO it would be a year too late
197
[21:16:09] <cboltz> (unfortunately we had too many proposals last year, so it was declined)
198
[21:17:10] <cboltz> so if you have a good idea what I could talk about, tell me ;-)
199
[21:17:28] <tampakrap> I don't think it is late, because last year it wasn't even done
200
[21:18:06] <cboltz> right, but all the "funny" things about the spam attack, getting access in Provo etc. are quite old
201
[21:18:28] <tampakrap> still, it's a story
202
[21:18:31] <cboltz> and a talk describing "just" the move would be too technical and probably boring for most people
203
[21:18:34] <tampakrap> it's up to you though
204
[21:18:51] <tampakrap> it can be a short talk for 30 mins
205
[21:18:57] <tampakrap> mine will be short as well
206
[21:21:06] <cboltz> hmm, just checking   grepsig opensuse-admin   maybe I should do a lightning talk about "what the Heroes would prefer not to tell you" ;-))
207
[21:21:37] <tampakrap> like what?
208
[21:22:00] <tampakrap> like "nobody knows why it is down or when it will be up again"?
209
[21:22:07] <cboltz> basically some funny failures
210
[21:22:31] <cboltz> and/or funny quotes
211
[21:23:06] <tampakrap> yes I approve
212
[21:23:28] <cboltz> you will regret that...
213
[21:23:53] <tampakrap> challenge accepted
214
[21:25:43] <tampakrap> so let's move, I don't see much enthusiasm about osc :)
215
[21:26:14] <pjessen> there will surely be much more enthusiasm about the 10 oldest tickets
216
[21:26:21] <cboltz> as I said, you will regret that - but since you are probably the main "victim" (you did quite some stuff, so of course you also broke some things) I'll check what I find, and will probably submit that talk ;-)
217
[21:27:34] <cboltz> pjessen: indeed, you'll for example enjoy https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/4314 ;-)
218
[21:28:28] <tampakrap> this will need to redesign the search system
219
[21:28:37] <tampakrap> it's not an easy task
220
[21:28:37] <pjessen> quite remarkably, I almost recruited a volunteer for that.
221
[21:29:00] <pjessen> yeah. and I still wonder if google isn't good enough/
222
[21:29:12] <pjessen> or _why_ google isn't good enough
223
[21:30:18] <cboltz> the local search might have some advantages if you want to search only in one list and in a gived date range (basically "I'm sure this was discussed on $list in $month $year")
224
[21:30:32] <cboltz> but besides that, I agree that in most cases google will do the job
225
[21:31:44] <pjessen> my feeling too. that's why I have not been trying to do much.
226
[21:32:43] <pjessen> maybe it would be better (for next time), if someone would prepare a quick status of the 10 oldest tickets.
227
[21:33:13] <pjessen> going through them one by one is a bit tedious
228
[21:33:26] <cboltz> well, the plan/hope was that we can get some of the oldest tickets fixed/closed during the meeting ;-)
229
[21:33:38] <tampakrap> correct but next time I'll be on vacation, I won't join the meeting
230
[21:33:49] <cboltz> (that obviously won't work for a big task like the ML search)
231
[21:34:02] <cboltz> and BTW: this is the third-oldest ticket, and the good thing is that it's "only" a year old. When I got access to progress, there were more tickets with quite some dust on them
232
[21:34:23] <pjessen> I'm looking at them now, and it takes me too long to grasp each issue enough to have an opinion/
233
[21:34:44] <tampakrap> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/9342 looks like MF-IT issue
234
[21:35:50] <pjessen> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/15268 is assigned to max - who was going to look into CDN77 ?
235
[21:36:09] <pjessen> sorry, not the 10-oldest
236
[21:36:27] <cboltz> tampakrap: that, or move www.o.o to Heroes infrastructure. The "problem" is that it includes openID auth, otherwise it would be an easy task
237
[21:37:34] <cboltz> pjessen: at the offsite, cmueller picked up that task, so please reassign
238
[21:38:08] <cboltz> (and don't worry too much about ignoring the 10-oldest restriction ;-)
239
[21:38:34] <pjessen> thanks, done.
240
[21:38:48] <okurz> hi guys, again late to the game. 2000 couldn't work for me. I still want to be a valuable heroes member but so far I do not consider myself one. I never found the motivation to activate the openSUSE VPN access on my computer. I will ask asmorodskyi to help me with that - the motivation part as well as the technical ;) cwh made me an admin of the redmine instance on progress.o.o and I found some interesting settings but did
241
[21:38:49] <okurz> not change anything.
242
[21:39:19] <okurz> tampakrap: I still plan to help with progress.o.o updating and a bit of redmine administration but it has to go with low prio for me
243
[21:39:55] <tampakrap> sure
244
[21:40:23] <okurz> btw, anyone of you that can help with openqaworker1 being down?
245
[21:40:43] <okurz> it should be 192.168.112.100 if "ping openqaworker1" from ariel is correct
246
[21:42:49] <tampakrap> cboltz: what about this? https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/13296
247
[21:43:02] <okurz> and because python2 vs. python3 has been mentioned: The plan for SLE15 was to move all core tools to python3 so that python2 can be moved to the legacy module. For Leap this means: python2 will for sure still be around for the time being but it's a good time to care about python3 support :)
248
[21:43:18] <tampakrap> okurz: spoke with DimStar already, I don't have access either
249
[21:43:41] <okurz> do you know who has? Should I raise a ticket elsewhere?
250
[21:44:00] <tampakrap> okurz: DimStar will do it
251
[21:45:13] <cboltz> tampakrap: waiting for the new design everywhere will automagically solve it ;-) but if you point me to a git repo that hosts the navbar with the outdated link, I can fix it
252
[21:45:54] <cboltz> (the actual fix is easy, I just need to know where the file hides ;-)
253
[21:46:34] <tampakrap> where is that bar?
254
[21:46:42] <tampakrap> I'm on www.o.o and can't see any tube link
255
[21:47:26] <tampakrap> same for software.o.o
256
[21:47:30] <cboltz> right, www.o.o already has the new design, which means no more outdated links
257
[21:47:34] <tampakrap> they only have links to opensusetv
258
[21:47:34] <cboltz> try for example the wiki
259
[21:48:17] <cboltz> or paste.o.o
260
[21:48:25] <tampakrap> well
261
[21:48:26] <pjessen> guys, I have to leave, need time to resolve some family matters. see you later.
262
[21:48:32] <tampakrap> the easiest would be to fix it in the proxy
263
[21:48:41] <tampakrap> put a redirect of tube.o.o to the opensusetv
264
[21:48:56] <tampakrap> I have no idea where that bar comes from
265
[21:49:04] <tampakrap> pjessen: have a nice evening
266
[21:49:17] <cboltz> pjessen: enjoy the evening with your family!
267
[21:49:30] <pjessen> tampa, I'll ping you tomorrow wrt the mirror issue
268
[21:49:36] <tampakrap> sure
269
[21:49:45] <cboltz> tampakrap: AFAIK the bar is hosted on static.o.o as part of the bento theme
270
[21:50:24] <tampakrap> still, fixing it in proxy is a good start
271
[21:50:31] <cboltz> doing a redirect in haproxy might also be a solution
272
[21:51:08] <cboltz> the only problem I see is that tube.o.o currently points to widehat
273
[21:51:29] <cboltz> I seriously hope not too many people abuse it as an alias for widehat or download.o.o, but you never know ;-)
274
[21:51:35] <tampakrap> I can change it to point to the proxy
275
[21:53:25] <cboltz> right, a DNS change is easy, but see the possible problem "alias for widehat" which might in worst (hopefully unlikely) case break someone's repos
276
[21:53:42] <tampakrap> now it points to the proxy
277
[21:53:42] <cboltz> are we fine with risking such breakage?
278
[21:53:53] <tampakrap> yes
279
[21:54:04] <tampakrap> if someone is using tube.o.o for his repos, good for him
280
[21:54:13] <tampakrap> enjoy downloading youtube videos instead of rpms
281
[21:54:21] <cboltz> lol
282
[21:54:32] <cboltz> I'll add the redirect in the haproxy config
283
[21:56:18] <tampakrap> cboltz: https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/18372 what about this?
284
[21:57:36] <cboltz> good question :-/
285
[21:58:09] <tampakrap> I'd say send him mail to put his opensuse category/tag rss only
286
[21:58:28] <tampakrap> the original request is valid, planet opensuse is supposed to be about opensuse or at least linux / community related
287
[21:59:26] <tampakrap> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/17702 this one I'll close it, it's a salt design issue
288
[21:59:30] <tampakrap> nothing we can fix
289
[21:59:40] <tampakrap> upstream is aware btw and not really willing to provide the functionality
290
[22:00:03] <heroes-bot> PROBLEM: HAProxy on elsa.infra.opensuse.org - HAPROXY CRITICAL - Active service dale is DOWN on dale proxy ! ; See https://monitor.opensuse.org/icinga/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=2&host=elsa.infra.opensuse.org&service=HAProxy
291
[22:00:04] <heroes-bot> PROBLEM: HAProxy on anna.infra.opensuse.org - HAPROXY CRITICAL - Active service dale is DOWN on dale proxy ! ; See https://monitor.opensuse.org/icinga/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=2&host=anna.infra.opensuse.org&service=HAProxy
292
[22:00:06] <heroes-bot> PROBLEM: HAProxy on mufasa.infra.opensuse.org - HAPROXY CRITICAL - Active service riesling is DOWN on riesling proxy ! ; See https://monitor.opensuse.org/icinga/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=2&host=mufasa.infra.opensuse.org&service=HAProxy
293
[22:00:47] <cboltz> I wonder if there's a way to add a dependency "required for pkg.* states"...
294
[22:01:36] <cboltz> that would also be useful to ensure the zypper config (especially "no recommends") is done before installing packages
295
[22:01:55] <tampakrap> that's exactly what the ticket is about
296
[22:02:54] <cboltz> I have to admit that I don't remember all details from this ticket ;-)
297
[22:03:07] <tampakrap> so the idea comes from puppet
298
[22:03:22] <tampakrap> in puppet you can define stages
299
[22:03:39] <tampakrap> there is a base stage, but you can define a stage eg pre or post
300
[22:03:54] <tampakrap> and say that everything that belongs to pre stage runs before base
301
[22:04:12] <tampakrap> so for example, you can add all the firewall enable rules on pre, and all pkgrepo.* on pre
302
[22:04:16] <tampakrap> then it will run the base
303
[22:04:26] <tampakrap> and on post you put eg all the firewall block rules
304
[22:04:42] <tampakrap> so that way all the pkgrepo.* instances will run before pkg.*
305
[22:04:56] <tampakrap> and all firewall block rules will run after the firewall enable rules
306
[22:05:05] <tampakrap> so that you don't kick yourself out for example :)
307
[22:05:37] <tampakrap> the oldest ticket is https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/1154
308
[22:05:41] <cboltz> what about   https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/ordering.html
309
[22:05:44] <tampakrap> and I think we can close
310
[22:06:11] <tampakrap> the ordering stuff you can see there are between defined states
311
[22:06:26] <tampakrap> while puppet supports all of pkgrepo.* isntances to run before anything else
312
[22:06:29] <tampakrap> see the diff?
313
[22:06:54] <cboltz> yes, I see the diff
314
[22:07:37] <cboltz> and while I don't say it's perfect, order: 1 (or even order: 0 or -1) to ensure a few things run first might be an acceptable workaround
315
[22:08:23] <tampakrap> we would need to do it on all pkgrepo.* states though
316
[22:08:32] <tampakrap> even the ones that come from eg a formula
317
[22:09:30] <cboltz> if a formula adds a repo (which is a bad idea IMHO), I'd expect that it is only used for packages related to this formula, and that the formula handles the correct order internally
318
[22:09:56] <cboltz> so I'd only care about the zypper config (no-recommends) and our own repos
319
[22:10:22] <cboltz> actually even our own repos aren't important enough - in worst case, we need to run highstate twice
320
[22:10:42] <cboltz> (or do we have newer versions of some packages than Leap has?)
321
[22:11:50] <tampakrap> agree
322
[22:12:20] <tampakrap> so let's improve the zypper formula
323
[22:12:50] <tampakrap> I left a comment on https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/1154 if I get no reply in a week I'll close it
324
[22:13:17] <cboltz> sounds like a good idea (both the ticket comment and improving zypper formula)
325
[22:13:28] <tampakrap> cboltz: https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/33685 give him a reply please, I forgot the name again
326
[22:13:32] <tampakrap> and close the ticket
327
[22:13:55] <cboltz> ok, will do
328
[22:17:11] <tampakrap> https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/9754 this I'll close it
329
[22:17:18] <tampakrap> it's really pointless to have such tickets
330
[22:17:39] <tampakrap> we might as well open a ticket for every service we want to saltify for no gain :)
331
[22:17:53] <tampakrap> agree?
332
[22:18:30] <cboltz> yes, but with a different reason ;-)
333
[22:18:45] <cboltz> we set the IP address in initial_setup.sh to avoid a chicken and egg problem
334
[22:18:53] <cboltz> so salting it is probably pointless anyway
335
[22:19:52] <cboltz> managing resolv.conf might be a good idea _if_ we ever change the nameserver IPs
336
[22:20:05] <cboltz> but since this hopefully won't happen ;-) ignore that for now
337
[22:20:13] <tampakrap> yep
338
[22:20:23] <tampakrap> I closed also https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/11242 for the same reason
339
[22:21:29] <cboltz> having a working postfix (and if it's only to send out root mails) sounds more useful than salting the IP address ;-)
340
[22:21:43] <tampakrap> yep but we don't need the ticket for that
341
[22:21:59] <cboltz> (actually Lars did that in the JeOS image, but that doesn't help for existing VMs)
342
[22:22:22] <tampakrap> I think enough for today
343
[22:22:43] <cboltz> for planet - I checked, and it already *is* the opensuse feed...
344
[22:23:20] <tampakrap> then a polite warning message to not post irrelevant stuff?
345
[22:24:14] <cboltz> I'll check with google translate if it's really irrelevant ;-)
346
[22:30:20] <cboltz> tube.o.o is now a redirect - ticket closed :-)